The physics behind weather and the climate

In summary, The conversation is discussing recommended textbooks for studying atmospheric physics. Holton's book is recommended as a good introduction to the fluid dynamics of the atmosphere, but it does not cover thermodynamics or cloud formation. It is written for juniors in atmospheric science and is considered to be at a good level. The conversation also suggests checking the library for other potential resources.
dEdt
Hi all,

I want to better understand the physics behind atmospheric phenomena, more out of curiosity than anything. What textbook would you recommend for me to study from? I'll be done my BS in physics next year, so that should tell you approximately what 'level' I'm at.

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
Holton's book is good for an intro to the fluid dynamics of the atmosphere:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/012354355X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

it is written for juniors in atmospheric science, so should be at a good level. It doesn't really touch on the thermodynamics of the atmosphere, cloud formation, etc. So if that is what you are interested in you will need to look elsewhere. Hopefully an expert will chime in with more recommendations. I just know this book from taking an astronomy grad course that covered atmospheric physics and used an unreadable text - I found this book by Holton in the bookstore as it was used in the atmospheric sciences department, and thought it was a nice readable book. Others may be better - I am not an expert in this field. I recommend you go to your library and see what they have on the shelf - you might find exactly what you are looking for.

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The physics behind weather and the climate

What is the difference between weather and climate?

Weather refers to the short-term atmospheric conditions in a specific location, such as temperature, precipitation, and wind. Climate, on the other hand, refers to the long-term patterns of weather in a particular region, including average temperatures, precipitation levels, and other factors.

How do greenhouse gases impact weather and climate?

Greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere, causing the planet to warm. This can lead to changes in weather patterns, such as more frequent and intense heat waves, droughts, and extreme weather events. Over time, these changes can also contribute to shifts in climate patterns.

What role do oceans play in weather and climate?

Oceans play a crucial role in regulating weather and climate. They absorb and store a significant amount of heat from the sun, which affects global temperature patterns. The ocean also helps to distribute heat around the planet through ocean currents, influencing weather patterns in different regions.

What is the impact of human activities on weather and climate?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. This contributes to the warming of the planet and can lead to changes in weather and climate patterns. Human activities also affect the Earth's natural systems, such as the water cycle, which can impact weather and climate.

How do scientists study weather and climate?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study weather and climate, including satellites, weather balloons, and computer models. They also collect data from weather stations around the world to track changes in temperature, precipitation, and other weather variables. This data is then analyzed to better understand current weather patterns and make predictions about future climate changes.