The Physics Behind a Home Made Drum

In summary: So, for the other notes you listed, you will need to use the same formula and adjust the size and tension accordingly. If you need more help, you can also consult your physics book on waves for more information and examples. In summary, to make a drum that can play specific notes, you will need to use the equation f = v/λ and adjust the size and tension of the drum accordingly for each note.
richricky123

Homework Statement

OK so for a project in my physics class I have to make a drum out of homemade things. I understand how to make a drum however my teacher told me that I have make the drum able to play the following notes/frequencies.
a. C (261.63 Hz)
b. D (293.66 Hz)
c. E (329.63 Hz)
d. F(349.23 Hz)
e. G (392.00 Hz)
f. A (440.00 Hz)
g. B (493.88 Hz)
h. C (523.25 Hz)
First of all, how do I know what kind of drum I need to make for each frequency (lengthwise,etc..)? What formulas do I need to know overall to do this project? The above information was really all I was given and I am clueless. If it helps any, our class is currently studying waves in our Physics book.

Heeeeelp me outt pleaaaaaaaaase!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you will need for this project is the equation for the frequency of a wave, which is f = v/λ. This equation tells us that the frequency (f) of a wave is equal to the velocity (v) of the wave divided by its wavelength (λ). To make a drum that can play each of the notes you listed, you will need to make sure that the size of the drum and the tension of the drumhead are appropriate for the frequency of the note you want to play. For example, if you want to play a C note (261.63 Hz), then you will need to make sure that the wavelength of the wave created by striking the drumhead is 261.63 meters. You can do this by adjusting the size of the drum and the tension of the drumhead. In general, lower frequencies require larger drums and higher tensions, while higher frequencies require smaller drums and lower tensions.

Related to The Physics Behind a Home Made Drum

What materials can be used to make a home made drum?

Common materials used to make a home made drum include a container (such as a bucket or pot), a membrane (such as a stretched piece of plastic or animal skin), and materials for drumsticks (such as wooden dowels or pencils).

How does the membrane affect the sound of the drum?

The membrane is a crucial component of a drum as it is responsible for producing the sound. When the membrane is struck, it vibrates and creates sound waves. The size, tension, and material of the membrane all play a role in the pitch and tone of the drum.

What is the physics behind the vibration of the drum membrane?

The vibration of the drum membrane is a result of the transfer of energy from the drumstick to the membrane. When the drumstick strikes the membrane, it creates a force that causes the membrane to move up and down, creating sound waves.

How does the size and shape of the drum affect the sound?

The size and shape of the drum can affect the sound in a few ways. A larger drum will produce a deeper and lower pitch due to the longer sound waves it creates. The shape of the drum can also impact the resonance and quality of the sound produced.

What other factors besides the membrane and size of the drum can affect the sound?

Other factors that can affect the sound of a home made drum include the material and thickness of the drum container, the type of drumsticks used, and the acoustics of the room or space where the drum is played. These factors can all influence the pitch, tone, and volume of the drum.