Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Phantom Menace; Talk Spam Episode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
We had a different name for this kind of thread at another place that we all have been to, so we need a new clever name here. I hope that CB's British intellect and humour will come through because I am creatively tapped.

I will probably get a temp job for a few months until I go back to study again and am dreading it. I was making 3x the normal rate in the US for someone my age (also was spending more than anyone I know so it's not a brag really) and all I had to do was speak my native language (I did actually make an effort mind you, but I didn't have to because the teacher is always right in Russia). Has anyone gone from a nice job to a bad one? What about going from a very, very specialized field back to looking at all kinds of jobs? Does anyone have interesting periods of employment or non-employment on their resume that they know draws some attention?

@CB - Seriously, please come up with some new tradition for this thread here. I have no idea what to name it. (Thinking)

Last edited by a moderator:

janvdl

Jan 30, 2012
Re: Thread about anything that comes to mind: part the first

Talk Spam? :p

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Talk Spam? :p
Correct, but I was trying not to name it :( We need our own name for the upcoming series of off topic discussions...

Sherlock

Jan 28, 2012

Once upon a time...

janvdl

Jan 30, 2012

If CaptainBlack would be so kind to post the cast for us... ;)

mvCristi

Feb 5, 2012

CaptainBlack always posted inspired casts.

As a talk spam, I will post my cast, beginning with two quotes:

"In the misty morning, on the edge of time..."
"He's walking like a small child,
But, watch, [her/]his eyes burn you away!"
Her name is Justine Byber... She dreams to be like Michell Jack's son!

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
If CaptainBlack would be so kind to post the cast for us... ;)

With:
CaptainBlack as Qui-Gon Jinn - obviously
janvdl as Obi-Wan Kenobi
Moo as Queen Amidala (not only because the costumes fit;) ,
............... Halls is writing a scene in which Amidala has to wear
................the Christmas Hottie costume for essential reasons of plot
................I am supprised that George Lucas missed how important
................this scene is, the whole thing makes no sense without it!)
mash as Palpatine/Darth Sidious (another obvious choice)
dwsmith as Jar-Jar Binks
Jameson as Yoda
Mr Fantastics as Chancellor Valorum
ImPerfectHacker as Watto (a close competition for IPH talents, almost cast as Sebulba)
MathGuru as Darth Maul
chisigma as Sebulba
Chris L T521 as Mace Windu
.... as Anakin Skywalker?
Topsqwark in a cameo role as Jabba the Hutt
Watson as the Midi-chlorians:
Deep Blue as R2D2
:

CB

Last edited:

mvCristi

Feb 5, 2012
mvCristi incredibly starring Chi-Wah?-wah! (te evil twin of Chewbacca who endlessly, but neverendingly, returns)

Last edited:

janvdl

Jan 30, 2012
CaptainBlack said:
mash as Palpatine/Darth Sidious (another obvious choice)
MathGuru as Darth Maul
I lol'd. (Rofl)

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
Do not worry be happy

janvdl

Jan 30, 2012
CB's British intellect and humour...
Can I just say the Americans' hatred of "ou" (colour, humour) and love of "z", irritate me to no end? :p

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I understand how both sides feel. I've been teaching British English for two years so I quickly became aware of all of the differences, plus my two best friends were British and always quick to make fun of my Americanisms. After many arguments about who's right I just realized (realised) that it's best to accept that no version is better they are just different.

janvdl

Jan 30, 2012
Technically South Africans should adhere to British English rules, but no-one will confront you about it if you use American spelling. The problem that arises from that, is that people mix the two, leading to even greater frustration for grammar nazis.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Does anyone have interesting periods of employment or non-employment on their resume that they know draws some attention?
I worked for Pacific Islands Club on Guam where I was a lifeguard that was responsible for playing in a water park, taking guest sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling, archery, etc.

mvCristi

Feb 5, 2012
I understand how both sides feel. I've been teaching British English for two years so I quickly became aware of all of the differences, plus my two best friends were British and always quick to make fun of my Americanisms. After many arguments about who's right I just realized (realised) that it's best to accept that no version is better they are just different.
It should be enough to only know just one dialect. Frustratingly, I'm not a nativ English speaker. I was thought English. I used it to understand what people talk on the internet. There is a mix of the dialects. So, both dialects entered my reflex, but mixed, in the sense that equvalent words from distinct dialects, for me are just synonyms of the same "dialect". It happens this to me also with grammer constructs. And add to this, that sometimes, from reflex, I use my native language' model of language and not English' model of language. Very often, I express myself in a very weird way in English, inspite the fact that I exactly know what I intend to comunicate and I can express it clearly in my nativ language.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw.
But in the 21st Century that is a sentiment only worthy of an intellectual snob. There are good reasons why there are the differences and anyone who can follow Shakespeare can accommodate our divergent spellings and usage.

CB

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Who really cares about how words are spelled as long as they are correct. I am a British-American with my farther from England, and I could care less if you have an ou or s where Americans traditionally wouldn't use them. I follow the Americanized spelling but there are bigger issues in the world than letter placement--like why post isn't answer :p

Sherlock

Jan 28, 2012

Sherlock

Jan 28, 2012
I think we need more Arcade games (or am I the only one who plays stuff there nowadays?).

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
We can work on that for sure. I'll put it on the "To Do" list. :cool:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I worked for Pacific Islands Club on Guam where I was a lifeguard that was responsible for playing in a water park, taking guest sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling, archery, etc.
Do you have any exciting stories about being a lifeguard? Ever save someone's life?

@Sherlock - If only Stephen Fry would tweet about MHB. We would get so many views right after that our server would crash. Once we recovered and used all the ad money to buy more bandwidth we would be an overnight success!

I will get one celebrity to tweet about us somehow!

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Do you have any exciting stories about being a lifeguard? Ever save someone's life?

@Sherlock - If only Stephen Fry would tweet about MHB. We would get so many views right after that our server would crash. Once we recovered and used all the ad money to buy more bandwidth we would be an overnight success!

I will get one celebrity to tweet about us somehow!
I saved a boy. For some odd reasons, Asian parents just let their kids go in the water without any kind of life preserver knowing they can't swim.

One day I saw a Korean dad pick up his kid and drop him in the lap pool. I just sat there thinking are you kidding me. I walked over to the farther looked into the pool with him and I said I think you should get your son he can't swim. How are you drop your kid in to drown and stand right there.

But mainly I saw Korean women wear there tops tied sideways around them instead of over their neck so they wouldn't have a tan line there and then stand up to fast or do something or other which had the top fall all the way down.

When I worked on the beach, I spent more time saying don't stand on the coral in Japanese, Korean, and Chinese. But non one listened and then would come back with serious gashes since the coral was sharp. That is when I took pleasure in applying vinegar to the wounds since they didn't want to listen to me.

Sherlock

Jan 28, 2012
(Rofl) He once tweeted this video with just the word 'wow' and the views went over a million instantly.

[video=youtube;nY7GnAq6Znw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nY7GnAq6Znw[/video]

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm curious, how long did you live abroad? I lived in Russia for two years and it has definitely changed a lot of things about me, although we'll see if being back home sort of switches me back to how I was. I hope not. For anyone who's lived abroad, what was it like coming home?

Status
Not open for further replies.