The period between two successive cell divisions is called?

In summary, the period between two successive cell divisions is called interphase, also known as the resting phase. This is the time during which the cell decides to either divide or stop dividing. The generation time, which is the amount of time elapsed between two successive cell divisions, is the same as the cell cycle. The cell cycle includes all the phases of interphase, as well as mitotic phases and cytokinesis. Interphase, which includes G1, S, and G2 phases, is a part of the cell cycle. Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts is a trustworthy source that confirms the inclusion of interphase in the cell cycle.
gracy
the period between two successive cell divisions is called ?
according to the site below
http://www.geekmcq.com/biology/cellcycle/discussion-7116
it's interphase
and as per below site

upload_2015-7-22_22-59-16.png

in question no 17 as we can see it is called generation time.And my teacher says generation time is same as cell cycle.Now I am confused what actually the period between two successive cell divisions is called ?Interphase or cell cycle i.e generation time.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-22_22-57-21.png
    upload_2015-7-22_22-57-21.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 953
Biology news on Phys.org
The amount of time elapsed between two successive cell divisions is called the generation time. The name of the collective phases of the cell cycle between mitotic phases is interphase.

Likes gracy
The period between two successive cell divisions is called Interphase or the resting phase. This is the time during which the cell decides to either divide or stop dividing (Note: it is in the case of animal cells because plant cells have special cells called the meristematic cells which are meant to divide). If it chooses to divide there is this G1(first growth), Synthetic and G2 phases after which the actual division(Pro,meta,telo-phases) happen. And the Cell Cycle is all the above processes taking place in a cyclic manner! i.e., the cell divides the divided cells again go through all the processes and they divide again, it goes on until the cell divides to stop dividing.

Ygggdrasil said:
The amount of time elapsed between two successive cell divisions is called the generation time. The name of the collective phases of the cell cycle between mitotic phases is interphase.
Is there any difference between mitotic phase and cell division?

gracy said:
And my teacher says generation time is same as cell cycle.
What you think about this?

Generation time is the time taken for a cell cycle which includes all the phases I had told you before.

gracy said:
Is there any difference between mitotic phase and cell division?

Cell division is a fairly general and imprecise term that encompasses the entire process of how one cell gives rise to two daughter cells. If you want a more precise definition, I'd call the generation time the elapsed time between two successive cytokinesis events. You could also say that the generation time is the length of the cell cycle.

Likes gracy
So generation time is
Does cell cycle include cytokinesis?I think yes..

gracy said:
Does cell cycle include cytokinesis?I think yes.

In almost all cases, yes. There are some rare types of cells that undergo mitosis without cytokinesis to make multinucleated cells.

Likes gracy
Ygggdrasil said:
The name of the collective phases of the cell cycle between mitotic phases is interphase.
interphase definition is easily available .It includes G1 phase,S phase and G2 phase, right?

gracy said:
interphase definition is easily available .It includes G1 phase,S phase and G2 phase, right?

Yup, that is correct.

Likes gracy
And the last question does the cell cycle include interphase?
according to http://www.apelslice.com/books/9780618843175NIMAS/HTMLOUT/HTML/c_id4613060.html answer is yes.But still want to verify as on internet everything seems to be fishy.

gracy said:
And the last question does the cell cycle include interphase?
according to http://www.apelslice.com/books/9780618843175NIMAS/HTMLOUT/HTML/c_id4613060.html answer is yes.But still want to verify as on internet everything seems to be fishy.

Yes, the cell cycle includes interphase. One of the most widely used cell biology textbooks is Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al., and it defines the cell cycle as including interphase.

Likes gracy
If you are saying , I can certify this !:smile:Thanks thanks thanks a lot.

Ygggdrasil said:
Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts
Happy :smile: !
I have found something trustworthy !You are my favorite @Ygggdrasil

Related to The period between two successive cell divisions is called?

What is the period between two successive cell divisions called?

The period between two successive cell divisions is called the cell cycle.

What are the stages of the cell cycle?

The cell cycle consists of two main stages: interphase and mitosis. Interphase is further divided into three phases: G1, S, and G2. Mitosis is divided into four phases: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase.

What happens during interphase?

Interphase is the longest phase of the cell cycle and is when the cell grows, carries out its normal functions, and replicates its DNA in preparation for cell division.

What happens during mitosis?

Mitosis is the process of cell division, where one cell divides into two genetically identical daughter cells. This is achieved through the four phases of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase.

How is the cell cycle regulated?

The cell cycle is regulated by proteins called cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs). These proteins control the progression of the cell cycle by activating or deactivating other proteins involved in cell division.