The perfect spot between the Earth and the Moon

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Moon
In summary, using the given information, the spaceship should orbit between the Moon and the Earth so that the gravity due to Earth is equal to the one caused by the Moon.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

There exists a spaceship orbiting between the Moon and the Earth. Find the perfect spot where the gravity due to Earth is equal to the one caused by the Moon. I have already solved for the ratio ## \frac {R_E}{\sqrt{M_E}} = \frac {R_M}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##. ## R_E ## is the distance between the spaceship and the Earth while ##R_M## represents the distance between the ship and the Moon. Likewise ##M_M## and ##M_E## are masses. The next step in my solutions guide is ## R_E = \frac {(R_E + R_M)\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_E}+\sqrt{M_M}} ##. I don't understand how they got to that.

Homework Equations

1) Correct answer ## = R_E = 3.46 * 10^8 ## meters
2) Mass of the Moon ##=7.347*10^22##
3) Mass of the Earth ##=5.98*10^24##
4) Distance between Moon and Earth ##= R_E + R_M = 3.844*10^8##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ratio I solved for in "The problem statement, all..." I tried to isolate ##R_E##
##R_E = \frac{R_M\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##
From 4) from part 2 "Relevant equa..." I get that ##R_M = 3.844*10^8 - R_E##
Therefore ##R_E = \frac{(3.844*10^8 - R_E)\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}} ##
Thus ##R_E = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) - R_E(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
##R_E + R_E(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
##R_E(1+(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})) = (3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}}) ##
##R_E = \frac{(3.844*10^8)(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})}{1+(\frac{\sqrt{M_E}}{\sqrt{M_M}})}##
While I did get the correct answer, my equation is so complicated. How do I turn it into the one given by the solutions manual?

Physics news on Phys.org
Latex refuses to load for some reason... Any solutions? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Apart from using that specific number instead of ##R_E+R_M##, there is nothing different about your solution. All you have to do is multiply top and bottom by ##\sqrt{M_M}## to get the book answer.

PeroK said:
Apart from using that specific number instead of ##R_E+R_M##, there is nothing different about your solution. All you have to do is multiply top and bottom by ##\sqrt{M_M}## to get the book answer.
Now I see it! Thank you so much!

Related to The perfect spot between the Earth and the Moon

1. What is the perfect spot between the Earth and the Moon?

The perfect spot between the Earth and the Moon is known as the Lagrange Point 1 (L1). It is approximately 326,000 kilometers away from Earth and 405,000 kilometers away from the Moon.

2. Why is the L1 point considered the perfect spot?

The L1 point is considered the perfect spot because it is where the gravitational forces of the Earth and Moon are balanced. This means that an object placed at this point will maintain a stable position without the need for constant adjustments.

3. What are the potential uses for the L1 point?

The L1 point has potential uses for space exploration and observation. For example, it could serve as a base for future missions to the Moon or Mars, or as a location for telescopes and other instruments to observe both the Earth and the Moon.

4. Are there any challenges associated with the L1 point?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with the L1 point. For one, it is constantly bombarded with solar radiation, making it a harsh environment for electronic equipment. Additionally, precise navigation is required to maintain a stable position at the L1 point.

5. Has the L1 point been used for any missions or projects?

Yes, the L1 point has been used for various missions and projects. For instance, the European Space Agency's SMART-1 spacecraft orbited the L1 point in 2005 to study lunar science and test new technologies. NASA's DSCOVR satellite has also been stationed at the L1 point since 2015 to monitor space weather and provide early warning for solar storms.