The Origin of the Universe: A Matter of Energy and Motion?

In summary: No, please continue.In summary, the universe was created from thermal energy that was too high to form particles, and it cooled over time until the right conditions were present for matter to form.
jtban
To compress the observable universe into the size of a grapefruit, it had to be devoid of all motion, and therefore all heat and energy.

Why wasn’t the heavy hunk of matter the size of a grapefruit that preceded the “Big Bang” that created our observable universe cold and without energy?

My reasoning:
We know that more than 99.9% of the universe is “empty” space and that everything is constantly moving: rotating, revolving, expanding, contracting—everything is in motion from the atoms in the chair I am sitting on to the earth, moon, sun, stars, and accelerated expansion of the universe. Even though atoms are more than 99.9% space and only contain a tiny amount of matter, atoms do not pass through each other because of the electrical field exerted by the spinning, revolving, rotating, matter within them. A rock that appears to be stationary is made up of atoms that are moving and producing an energy field.

For all matter within the universe to have been compressed into the size of a grapefruit, all motion had to have ceased. Without motion there is no heat or energy.

My conclusion is that matter must have pre-existed the expansion, and that the energy that caused the matter to begin moving and producing heat came from an external source.

Am I missing something?
jtb

Space news on Phys.org
The very early univese is believed to have been so hot that even subatomic particles were unable to form [i.e., it was pure energy]. The first atomic nuclei did not form until about 3 minutes after the BB. It is fairly certain the universe was much larger than a grapefruit by then.

Well, no, this reasoning is fundamentally flawed. Basically, the hot particles in region A may be all moving at extremely high velocities, tending to leave that region very rapidly, but then the hot particles in the neighboring regions will be doing the same, and so on average the inflow of hot particles from neighboring regions cancels the outflow.

There's also the problem that your entire argument assumes a stable configuration, which never happened: our universe, as near as we can tell, was always expanding. And at very early times, this expansion was very rapid indeed.

jtban said:
For all matter within the universe to have been compressed into the size of a grapefruit, all motion had to have ceased. Without motion there is no heat or energy.

My conclusion is that matter must have pre-existed the expansion, and that the energy that caused the matter to begin moving and producing heat came from an external source.

Am I missing something?
jtb

It wasn't matter - it was energy.

It didn't form into matter until a long time after when conditions were cooler.

Chimps said:
It wasn't matter - it was energy.
Not really. Energy does not exist separate and distinct from matter. Energy is a property of matter.

A better way to say it would be that the average energy of particles far exceeded their rest mass energies, which meant that collisions would very frequently change the number of particles of a given type.

From the answers to my question it appears that originally the universe was infinitely smaller and hotter consisting of pure thermal energy with sub-atomic particles moving about frantically, and that there never was a cosmic egg, or starting point for the universe. The universe cooled as thermal energy decreased through work (conversion to the nuclear forces required to create atoms?) or somehow left the system for colder areas making it possible for matter and the present universe to come into existence.

Am I interrupting the answers correctly?
jtb

Related to The Origin of the Universe: A Matter of Energy and Motion?

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and development of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, an incredibly small and dense point, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

Was the Big Bang hot or cold?

At the beginning of the Big Bang, the universe was extremely hot and dense. As it expanded, it began to cool down. However, the exact temperature of the universe during this time is still a topic of debate among scientists.

How do scientists know the Big Bang was hot?

Scientists can infer that the Big Bang was hot based on the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) that permeates the universe. This radiation is a remnant of the intense heat from the early universe and is one of the key pieces of evidence for the Big Bang theory.

Why is the temperature of the universe important in understanding the Big Bang?

The temperature of the universe is important because it provides clues about the early stages of the universe's development. By studying the temperature and changes in temperature over time, scientists can better understand the processes that occurred during the Big Bang and how the universe has evolved since then.

Is the Big Bang still considered the most plausible explanation for the origin of the universe?

Yes, the Big Bang theory is still widely accepted as the most plausible explanation for the origin of the universe. However, it is constantly being studied and refined as new evidence and observations become available.