How many lumens is required for this?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: In this case, the intensity will be the same in all directions (since the light is equally bright in all directions), so the calculation would be:In summary, the required lumens for a light at a distance of 70 miles would be around 1000.
zoobyshoe
A light is visible to the unaided human eye at a distance of 70 miles. How many lumens is required for this?Stipulating the light is equally bright in all directions, can we calculate from the above lumens a reliable estimate of the joules needed to produce a light of that strength?

-zoob

Physics news on Phys.org
Lumen is a fysiological quantity. That means it's defined by the eye-sensitivity. Therefore, you'd need to include the wavelength of the light.

For the energy required to produce the light: you'd have to include how the light was made and what the efficiency of the process was.

Originally posted by suyver
Lumen is a fysiological quantity. That means it's defined by the eye-sensitivity. Therefore, you'd need to include the wavelength of the light.
What's the non-physiological scale of measurement I need here, then, candle-power?
For the energy required to produce the light: you'd have to include how the light was made and what the efficiency of the process was.
Don't have that info.

Thank you.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
What's the non-physiological scale of measurement I need here, then, candle-power?

That would be the candela.

Don't have that info.

Then you really cannot say anything about the required power. For example: consider the electroluminescence of silicon and the thermal (black-body) radiation of a metal at about 1000 K: there is a factor of ~1,000,000 in power required to obtain equal brightness...

Then you really cannot say anything about the required power. For example: consider the electroluminescence of silicon and the thermal (black-body) radiation of a metal at about 1000 K: there is a factor of ~1,000,000 in power required to obtain equal brightness...
Thanks, suyver.

This, then, is the wrong tree, and I must go bark elsewhere.

A light is visible to the unaided human eye at a distance of 70 miles. How many lumens is required for this?

Stipulating the light is equally bright in all directions, can we calculate from the above lumens a reliable estimate of the joules needed to produce a light of that strength?

-zoob
If you turned the question around, you can get an estimate of the minimum amount of energy required (actually power, since you didn't say how long the light was visible for).

A sample calculation:
- assume the light is 'red', say 650 nm
- assume the human eye has a quantum efficiency of 5% (only 1 in 20 photons incident on the eyeball result in the firing of a neuron)
- assume the extinction of a column of 70 miles of air is x% (of the red photons which are emitted, only 1-x reach the eyeball)
- assume the human threshold for detection is [see below]
- assume the source can turn input energy into red photons with 100% efficiency
- assume the light is tightly collimated, and spreads to a circle of radius 7cm at distance 70 miles (in other words, hits both eyeballs, and surrounding part of the face, but not much else)

... just plug in the numbers, with the appropriate formulae, and the answer will fall out. You can then modify the assumptions to suit whatever case you're interested in investigating (isotropic emission, solar-spectrum light source, eyes which aren't dark adapted, ...).

I've only a dimly remembered 'rule of thumb' that can get you to the human eye threshhold: at the top of the atmosphere, the number of photons from a zero magnitude star with an A spectrum is 10,000 per square cm per angstrom per second (probably V or B band). More reliably, the visual threshold of the fully dark-adapted human eye (under truly dark skies) is 6.5 mag. If my 'A star' number is more or less correct, it's quite straightforward to calculate the number of photons, across the visible spectrum, that an eyeball needs to receive before the brain perceives a light.

Oh, if your source isn't a 'point', there are several effects which will need to be added to the above calculations.

Does this help?

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I was certain there had to be ways to derive meaningful information from the fact of a light visible to the unaided eye at this distance. Your method of attacking the minimm required is really what I was hoping for. Thanks much.

However, this lower limit will be very low indeed. Example: a 2 W output red laser (input: ~250 W) will be easily visible at 70 miles if there is no smog in the air.

Even in the non-columated case, a ~few kW halogen / xenon lamp (such as those used in IMAX theaters) will be visible over this distance under clear conditions. Just think about lighthouses...

By the way: if you want to assume equal distribution of the light in all directions, then you can simply use the following:

[tex]I(r)=\frac{I_0}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

where [tex]I(r)[/tex] denotes the intensity at distance [tex]r[/tex] from the source, if the source has an intensity [tex]I_0[/tex].

Cheers,
Freek Suyver.

However, this lower limit will be very low indeed.
Point taken.

Thanks for the formula. That will be needed.

-Zoob

1. How many lumens do I need for a living room?

The recommended lumens for a living room vary depending on the size of the room and the type of lighting you prefer. In general, a living room of 100 square feet will require around 1500-3000 lumens, while a larger living room of 200 square feet may need 3000-6000 lumens. It is also important to consider the height of your ceiling, with higher ceilings requiring more lumens to properly illuminate the space.

2. How many lumens do I need for a bedroom?

Similar to a living room, the number of lumens needed for a bedroom depends on the size of the room and personal preference. For a small bedroom of 100 square feet, 1500-3000 lumens should be sufficient. However, for a larger bedroom of 200 square feet, 3000-6000 lumens may be needed. Additionally, consider the activities you will be doing in the bedroom - if you like to read in bed, you may want to aim for higher lumens to provide adequate task lighting.

3. How many lumens do I need for a kitchen?

The amount of lumens required for a kitchen also depends on the size of the space. For a small kitchen of 100 square feet, 3000-6000 lumens are recommended. For a larger kitchen of 200 square feet, 6000-9000 lumens may be needed. In the kitchen, it is important to have bright, evenly distributed lighting for tasks such as cooking and food preparation.

4. How many lumens do I need for outdoor lighting?

The recommended lumens for outdoor lighting depend on the specific area you are trying to illuminate. For example, a pathway or walkway may only need around 100-200 lumens per square foot, while a large outdoor space for entertaining may require 500-1000 lumens per square foot. It is also important to consider the placement of the lighting and any potential obstructions that may impact the required lumens.

5. How do I determine the correct amount of lumens for a specific area?

To determine the appropriate number of lumens for a specific area, you can use a simple calculation. First, calculate the square footage of the area by multiplying the length and width of the space. Then, multiply the square footage by the recommended lumens per square foot for that type of space. For example, if your living room is 150 square feet and the recommended lumens per square foot is 20, you would need 3000 lumens for the room (150 x 20 = 3000).