The only method to learn sequences and series

In summary, the speaker recalls their experience in college with learning Calculus B and specifically, sequences and series. They had never learned math through reverse engineering before, but found it necessary to do so in order to understand the material. They had to look up the answer in the back of the textbook and work backwards from there. The speaker asks if others agree that this is the only way to learn sequences and series, to which the other person responds that there are other methods of learning.
bluemoonKY
I remember when I took Calculus B in college. I had never learned any math by reverse engineering before, but when I got to sequences and series, the only way for me to learn how to do it was to reverse engineer it. I had to look up the answer in the back of the textbook, and then work backwards from the answer.

Do you people agree with me that the only way to learn sequences and series is to reverse engineer the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "reverse engineering" a theory but I do know that there are many different ways to learn sequences and series. It may well be the best way for you to learn but hardly the only way.

Related to The only method to learn sequences and series

What is the definition of a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern or rule.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite sequence?

A finite sequence has a limited number of terms, while an infinite sequence continues on indefinitely.

What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

How can I use sequences and series in real life?

Sequences and series can be used in a variety of real-life applications, such as calculating interest rates, predicting population growth, and analyzing stock market trends.

What is the best method for learning sequences and series?

The best method for learning sequences and series is to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.