Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

the number of possible permutations for the assessment

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
There are 4 questions in the assessment. In order not to repeat questions in an assessment, question 1 could be any of 13 questions, question 2 any of 21 questions, question 3 any one of 14 questions and question 4 any one of 12 questions. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations for the assessment? Is it 13 × 18 × 13 × 10?

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
There are 4 questions in the assessment. In order not to repeat questions in an assessment, question 1 could be any of 13 questions, question 2 any of 21 questions, question 3 any one of 14 questions and question 4 any one of 12 questions. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations for the assessment? Is it 13 × 18 × 13 × 10?
We need to clarify. Are the 13 possible questions for #1 distinct from the 21 possible questions for #2? There are no questions in two different question pools? If so then, by the "fundamental counting principle", the number of tests, differing by at least one question, is 13(21)(14)(21).
I have no idea where you got "18 x 13 x 10". Also those are not "permutations" since you are not changing the order of the questions.

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
Since that's the whole question, probably we should just assume that those groups non-intersecting. Thanks.