The news media on 2 trillion galaxies: Confused, or am I?

In summary, recent articles have discussed the possibility that our universe contains 2 trillion galaxies, a significant increase from the previously estimated 100-200 billion. However, the articles are unclear and inconsistent about whether this is the current number or the number in the past when smaller galaxies merged to become larger ones. Additionally, the new discovery does not change the estimated amount of ordinary matter in the universe. The number of galaxies has remained the same throughout time, but in the past, they were smaller on average, resulting in a higher number. The media's focus on numbers rather than technical details is unfortunate, but it has led to a greater interest in learning about the universe.
OwenR
Hello. So the last few days there have been articles about how our universe may now contain around 2 trillion galaxies, up from 100-200 billion galaxies that was previously determined.

But unfortunately I can't make complete sense of the articles I've read, including the one on NASA's site. They seem either inconsistent or unclear. The articles suggest more or less that the 2 trillion number is what it used to be, when there were smaller galaxies and before many merged together to make bigger galaxies, but at the same time they either state the new number in the present tense or simply don't clarify on this point.

So my questions:
  1. Is 2 trillion galaxies what it should be currently, or simply what it used to be when the universe was younger?
  2. The new discovery still does not imply that there's more ordinary matter than what's already been estimated, or does it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The number of galaxies today is the same as it ever was.
The average size of galaxies in the distant past was smaller, so there were correspondingly more of them.

Likes OwenR
Thanks for the confirm. That's what I thought . . . Unfortunate that much of the news media was too shallow to want to make that clear.

The lay public is entertained by the numbers, not the technical details.

Likes OwenR and 1oldman2
It's a real shame.

In another sense though, I'm glad. It made me finally get an account here. (Not that this compensates for the lay public's need for information the wrong way.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The news media on 2 trillion galaxies: Confused, or am I?

1. What is the significance of 2 trillion galaxies in relation to the news media?

The recent discovery of 2 trillion galaxies has sparked interest in the news media as it expands our understanding of the vastness of the universe. This number is significantly higher than previous estimates and challenges our understanding of the scale of the universe.

2. How do scientists determine the number of galaxies in the universe?

Scientists use powerful telescopes and advanced technology to observe the universe and gather data. By analyzing this data, they can estimate the number of galaxies based on their size, shape, and distribution in the observable universe.

3. Is it possible that there are even more galaxies beyond the 2 trillion that have been discovered?

Yes, it is highly likely that there are more galaxies beyond the 2 trillion that have been observed. The observable universe is constantly expanding, and there may be galaxies that are too far away for us to detect with our current technology.

4. How does the discovery of 2 trillion galaxies impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of 2 trillion galaxies challenges our previous understanding of the size and scope of the universe. It suggests that there may be even more galaxies and potentially other forms of life beyond our own galaxy, the Milky Way.

5. Why is there confusion surrounding the news media coverage of 2 trillion galaxies?

Some confusion may arise from the fact that the number of galaxies in the universe is constantly changing as technology advances and new data is collected. Additionally, the vastness of 2 trillion galaxies can be difficult for our human minds to comprehend, leading to confusion and contemplation.