The Negation of an Implication Statement?

• Thread starter someperson05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    implication
In summary: Therefore, a proof of the negation of B in classical logic would be a proof of A. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of proving proposition A based on the negation of proposition B using formal logic. The speaker is unsure about the validity of this argument in both intuitionistic and classical logic, and seeks clarification on the logic involved.
someperson05
Hello,

So someone just asked me for assistance on a proof, and while I'm fairly certain you can't do what he did, I am not completely sure on the reasons.

To state it as formal logic,
If you have proposition A:
[tex]P \rightarrow Q[/tex]
And let's call proposition B
[tex]\neg (P \rightarrow Q)[/tex]
If you were to show B was false, then I think that does not imply A is true.

Am I right? And what logic is really going on above?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

EDIT:
I tried looking at the implication as,
[tex] P \rightarrow Q \equiv \neg P \vee Q[/tex]
which means that
[tex]\neg (P \rightarrow Q) \equiv P \wedge \neg Q[/tex]
which no longer seems to be really an implication statement.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it is always true that

[tex]a\lor \neg a[/tex]

¬¬a is equivalent to a

someperson05 said:
Hello,

[tex]\neg (P \rightarrow Q) \equiv P \wedge \neg Q[/tex]
which no longer seems to be really an implication statement.

Why would it be, it's the negation of an implication statement.

I'm a little unclear on exactly what your question is and what system of logic you are talking about.

If you are talking about intuitionistic/constructive logic then a proof that B is false (i.e. a proof of the negation of B, which I believe in intuitionistic terms would be "a proof that B cannot be proven") would not be a proof of A, since intuitionistic logic does not have a double negation elimination rule. Intuitionistic logic also has a different definition of negation than classical logic (part of the reason there is no double negation rule).

However, in classical logic, a proof of the negation of B would be the double negation of A, which is equivalent to A via a rule of double negation elimination.

Hello,

You are correct in your understanding that the negation of an implication statement does not necessarily imply the truth of the original statement. In fact, the negation of an implication statement is equivalent to the conjunction of the antecedent (P) and the negation of the consequent (\neg Q). This means that both P and \neg Q must be true in order for the negation of the implication to be true.

In terms of logic, the process of negating an implication statement can be seen as applying the De Morgan's Law, which states that the negation of a disjunction is equivalent to the conjunction of the negations of its individual components. So in this case, the negation of an implication statement is equivalent to the conjunction of the negation of the antecedent and the negation of the consequent.

I hope this helps clarify the logic behind the negation of an implication statement. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to The Negation of an Implication Statement?

What is the negation of an implication statement?

The negation of an implication statement is the opposite of the original statement. It is a logical statement that asserts that if the antecedent is true, then the consequent must be false, and vice versa. It is denoted by the symbol "¬" or "not".

How do you write the negation of an implication statement?

The negation of an implication statement can be written in two ways: either by using the "¬" or "not" symbol before the original statement, or by using the logical operators "and" and "or" to form a new statement. For example, the negation of the statement "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" can be written as "It is raining and the ground is not wet" or "It is not the case that if it is raining, then the ground is wet".

What is the difference between the negation of an implication statement and the converse statement?

The negation of an implication statement and the converse statement are two different logical statements. The negation of an implication statement is the opposite of the original statement, while the converse statement switches the positions of the antecedent and consequent. For example, the negation of the statement "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" is "It is not the case that if it is raining, then the ground is wet". The converse statement of the same statement is "If the ground is wet, then it is raining".

What is the truth value of the negation of an implication statement?

The truth value of the negation of an implication statement depends on the truth value of the original statement. If the original statement is true, then the negation of the statement is false, and vice versa. This can also be seen in the truth table for implication, where the only time the implication statement is false is when the antecedent is true and the consequent is false. Therefore, the truth value of the negation of the statement will be true in all other cases.

How is the negation of an implication statement used in scientific research?

The negation of an implication statement is often used in scientific research to form hypotheses and make predictions. By negating a statement, scientists can explore other possible explanations or outcomes for their research findings. It also allows them to test the validity of their original statement by comparing it to its negation. Additionally, the negation of an implication statement is used in the scientific method to form null hypotheses, which are essential in statistical analysis.