The Mystery of Soda Powered Clock

In summary, the teacher used soda to power a clock by creating a basic battery using magnesium and copper wires. The reaction between the two metals and the carbonic or phosphoric acid in the soda creates a flow of electrons, which generates a voltage and powers the clock. This process is known as oxidation-reduction and is further explained in the field of electrochemistry.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

My teacher used soda to power up a clock. He used a magnesium and copper wire, and soda (sierra mist)

I have to explain why and how this happened.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said it had something to do with oxidation-reduction. I think it has something to do with the carbonic acid or phosphoric acid found in most sodas. I found an explanation for a similar experiment which uses a potato, but I can't quite understand it.

"The potato contains phosphoric acid. This acid causes chemical reactions to occur at each of the electrodes (galvanized nail and copper penny). The reaction at the copper electrode strips electrons from the copper and attaches them to the Hydrogen ions (2H+) in the phosphoric acid. This depletes the electrons on the copper electrode which makes it "hungry" for more. The process creates Hydrogen gas.

The galvanized nail provides the Zinc needed for the other reaction. The phosphoric acid dissolves the Zinc in the nail and liberates electrons from the Zinc atoms. The liberated electrons stay on the electrode and the resulting Zinc ions (Zn++) migrate into the acidic juices of the potato. This results in an excess of electrons on the Zinc electrode. If a wire is connected between the Zinc nail and the copper penny, electrons will flow. This flow of electrons is the electrical current that makes the digital clock function."

Physics news on Phys.org
What your teacher constructed is a basic battery.

This is how it works (simplified):

The two different metal wires act as electrodes. The solution enables them to exchange ions. One wire will decay and another will gain ions. This creates voltage which enables a current to flow through the clock, making it work.

For a more detailed explanation, read on Electrochemistry. You should have a section on electrochemistry in your general chemistry manual.

Related to The Mystery of Soda Powered Clock

1. How does the soda powered clock work?

The soda powered clock works by utilizing the chemical reaction between the carbon dioxide in the soda and the metal electrodes in the clock. When the electrodes are inserted into the soda, the carbon dioxide bubbles react with the metal to create a small electric current, which powers the clock.

2. What type of soda works best for the soda powered clock?

Any type of soda can be used for the soda powered clock, but carbonated sodas tend to work best because they contain higher levels of carbon dioxide. Popular options include Coca-Cola, Sprite, and Mountain Dew.

3. How long does the soda powered clock last?

The duration of the soda powered clock depends on the amount of soda used and the efficiency of the chemical reaction. On average, it can power the clock for 2-3 days before needing to be refilled with fresh soda.

4. Can the soda powered clock be used as a reliable timekeeper?

While the soda powered clock may not be as accurate as traditional battery-operated clocks, it can still provide a fairly reliable timekeeping function. It is best used as a fun and educational science experiment rather than a precise timekeeping device.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using the soda powered clock?

There are no significant safety concerns when using the soda powered clock, as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to use caution when inserting the electrodes into the soda and to avoid touching them while the clock is running. Also, make sure to use a clean and dry container to avoid any potential electrical hazards.