The Mystery of Light in a Box: Where Does It Go?

In summary: The universe does not rely on just matter for fuel, but also energy. And our understanding of the universe and its potential for energy and matter is constantly evolving. The idea of everything ending as nothing is just a theory and not a proven fact.
lunarcolonies
If you could build a box with a reflective inside that no light could escape. If somehow you put a laser in the box and fired the beam and then shut off the laser what would happen? Would the beam continued to bounce off of the insides of the box or would the beam dissipate somehow? If it does dissipate, where does the light go without an escape point?

I personally think that it would dissipate, I don't however have a clue where the energy goes. It becomes a different form of energy obviously, but what... got me.

Science news on Phys.org
Heat.

Makes sense. So heat then would be the end of the life cycle for light. If heat is the result of the expenditure of light, wouldn't it make sense then that Cold, or the absence of heat would be the result of the expenditure of heat? If so we could theorize that the cold throughout the universe is the result of this process?

An interesting question this brings up is, does Cold in itself have an undiscovered life cycle that possibly initiates the heat life cycle (cosmic perpetual motion?)?

Another would be on the other side of the spectrum, could this mean that once all the fuel is used, no more universe?

Heat is (usually atomic) motion.
The concept of cold as a corollary is of no mathematical use.

Look up entropy - that's of more use to you as a concept here.

Then the universe as we know it is limited to amount of fuel it has to use (matter). We began as noting and based on this we will end as nothing? Interesting idea.

I don't totally buy that because I don't really believe in time but I'm willing to agree that it's a part of the puzzle.

lunarcolonies said:
If you could build a box with a reflective inside that no light could escape. If somehow you put a laser in the box and fired the beam and then shut off the laser what would happen?

Would the beam continued to bounce off of the insides of the box or would the beam dissipate somehow? If it does dissipate, where does the light go without an escape point?

I personally think that it would dissipate, I don't however have a clue where the energy goes. It becomes a different form of energy obviously, but what... got me.

1] The walls are not 100% reflective; some of the light will go into the walls and rfadiate as heat.
2] There is a laser in the box that has parts that are not reflective. They will very quickly absorb stray light and heat up.

lunarcolonies said:
Then the universe as we know it is limited to amount of fuel it has to use (matter). We began as noting and based on this we will end as nothing? Interesting idea.

This does not follow.

Related to The Mystery of Light in a Box: Where Does It Go?

1. What is the mystery of light in a box?

The mystery of light in a box refers to the phenomenon of light disappearing or changing when it is contained in a closed box. This has puzzled scientists for centuries and has been the subject of many experiments and theories.

2. Where does the light go when it disappears in a box?

The light does not actually disappear, but rather it is absorbed or scattered by the materials inside the box. This absorption or scattering causes the light to no longer be visible to the human eye.

3. Why does light change when it is inside a closed box?

Light changes in a closed box because it interacts with the materials inside the box. This can change the wavelength or direction of the light, making it appear different to the observer.

4. Can the mystery of light in a box be solved?

While there have been many theories and experiments attempting to solve the mystery of light in a box, it is still an ongoing area of research and there is no definitive answer yet. However, scientists continue to make progress and gain a better understanding of this phenomenon.

5. How does the mystery of light in a box impact our daily lives?

The mystery of light in a box has implications in various fields such as optics, materials science, and quantum mechanics. Understanding how light behaves in different environments is crucial for the development of new technologies and improving our understanding of the world around us.