The Mystery of Cold Air Travel: Light vs. Heat

In summary, cold air travels like air, but it is not necessarily the same as heat transfer. It can be compared to darkness being the absence of light.
Raza
How does cold air travel?
Isn't it like me flashing darkness at your face?
Because cold is the absence of heat as darkness is absence of light.
It's like nothing traveling.
I know it's confusing.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Cold air is air...it travels like air. :confused::confused:

Heat moves from warm areas to cold areas, though that isn't necessarily how air works because air moves as a mass and transfers heat through convection. If you have a cold reservoir and a warm reservoir (say, big blocks of steel) and connect them with a conducting material, the heat will travel from warm to cold. But the temperature profiles will be symmetrical, so it almost looks as though you can consider the heat to be flowing in one direction or the "cold" to be flowing in the other.

Last edited:
Raza said:
How does cold air travel?
Isn't it like me flashing darkness at your face?
Because cold is the absence of heat as darkness is absence of light.
It's like nothing traveling.
I know it's confusing.:confused:

This could be turned into a nice limerick:

How does cold air go about traveling?
Isn't it like darkness unraveling?
Cold is the absence
of heat in this parlance
of nonsense, I know it's confusing.

Related to The Mystery of Cold Air Travel: Light vs. Heat

1. What causes cold air travel when flying?

Cold air travel is caused by a combination of factors, including the temperature difference between the air inside and outside the plane, altitude, and the speed of the aircraft. As the plane gains altitude, the outside air becomes colder and the air inside the plane is pressurized and cooled by the air conditioning system. Additionally, the high speed of the aircraft creates friction with the air, causing it to cool down even further.

2. Why does the air feel colder on airplanes compared to on the ground?

The air on airplanes feels colder due to the lower humidity levels. The air inside the plane is recirculated and passes through filters, which removes moisture from the air. This results in a lower humidity level, making the air feel cooler than it would on the ground where humidity levels are typically higher.

3. How is the temperature of the air inside the plane regulated?

The temperature of the air inside the plane is regulated by the air conditioning system. This system works by compressing and expanding air, which removes heat from the air and cools it down. The temperature is controlled by adjusting the amount of air that is compressed and expanded, and by mixing in outside air to regulate the overall temperature.

4. Why do some people feel colder on airplanes than others?

Some people may feel colder on airplanes due to individual differences in temperature sensitivity and circulation. Additionally, factors such as where a person is seated on the plane, the type of clothing they are wearing, and their overall health can also impact how they perceive the temperature.

5. Can the temperature inside an airplane affect my health?

In most cases, the temperature inside an airplane is not low enough to cause any significant health issues. However, individuals with respiratory problems or weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to the dry air and low temperatures. It is important to dress warmly and stay hydrated while flying to avoid any discomfort or potential health concerns.