Humble Hubble a star that will not fade

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble Star
In summary: Originally posted by Ivan Seeking http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7039989%255E401,00.html In summary, the most sophisticated space telescope ever built will be put into orbit around Earth this weekend.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
THIS weekend the most sophisticated space telescope ever built will be put into orbit around Earth.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7039989%255E401,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Finally a space exploration mission worthwhile.

There are two things I think should be a focus

1. Looking for life strategically
2. Idenitifying events at the center of the universe.

I'm sick of NASA looking at stupid moon rocks!

Originally posted by BiologyForums

In which direction is the center of the universe?

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7039989%255E401,00.html [Broken]

Your article mentions the alternative that astronauts might
replace the gyros in the HST and extend its useful life
to 2020.

The telescope has been of inestimable value beyond all expectation as your article says. Have you got any other
article about the technical possibility and cost of extending
its life? I would like to hear both sides of the issue if possible.
If there is reliable assurance this could be
done at a cost commensurate with comparable-benefit scientific
missions, then where is the petition to sign?

Originally posted by marcus
Have you got any other article about the technical possibility and cost of extending its life?

No but I will stay alert to any such information and post accordingly.

In which direction is the center of the universe?
No picking on the Biologist. ;)

The telescope has been of inestimable value beyond all expectation as your article says. Have you got any other
its life?

Don't know the numbers, but I do know that one reason NASA's bean counters are reluctant to spend more on the Hubble is because the James Web Space Telescope is scheduled for launch around the time Hubble will be de-orbitting. NASA wants to focus its budgetary concerns on that.

Seems a bit risky to me, though. I don't think the Hubble should be de-orbitted until after the JWST is up and running. Seems to me that the least expensive option is to leave Hubble where it is, postpone the expense of attaching boosters to bring it down, until we have seen if the new 'scope is going to work. When the JWST is shown to be functioning properly, then would be the time to decide whether to repair or de-orbit the Hubble.

Your article mentions the alternative that astronauts might
replace the gyros in the HST and extend its useful life
to 2020.

its life? I would like to hear both sides of the issue if possible.
If there is reliable assurance this could be
done at a cost commensurate with comparable-benefit scientific
missions, then where is the petition to sign?

Some related information:
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article544.html

http://www.floridatoday.com/space/explore/stories/1999b/110699a.htm [Broken]

I was not sure if this addressed an extended lifespan or not:
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/groups/hst10x/pdffiles/HST10X_Technical.pdf [Broken]

"NASA should extend the Hubble Space Telescope's lifetime with a second space shuttle service mission in 2010, says a panel of astronomers commissioned by the agency. The upgrade would extend its lifetime well into the next decade."
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994061

Originally posted by BiologyForums

1. This is one of NASA's current goals. Their current focus is on the search for liquid water (e.g., Mars, moons of Jupiter).

2. As marcus suggested, modern cosmology shows that there is no center (or edge) to 3D space.

rocks - They're not doing this much lately (if at all - - the moon rocks have been thoroughly studied already). Regardless, those rocks are hardly stupid. The tell volumes about the composition and formation of the moon (and by extension, the early formational period of the Earth during which Earth-life was developing).

1. What is "Humble Hubble a star that will not fade"?

"Humble Hubble a star that will not fade" is a nickname given to the Hubble Space Telescope, a powerful space-based observatory that has been in operation since 1990.

2. How does Hubble stay in orbit?

Hubble stays in orbit around Earth due to its high speed and altitude. It travels at a speed of about 17,500 mph (28,000 km/h) and orbits at an altitude of about 340 miles (547 km).

3. What makes Hubble different from other telescopes?

Hubble is different from other telescopes because it is located in space, above the Earth's atmosphere. This allows it to capture images and data with much greater clarity and detail, as the atmosphere can distort and block light for telescopes on the ground.

4. What has Hubble discovered?

Hubble has made numerous groundbreaking discoveries in the fields of astronomy and astrophysics. Some of its most notable discoveries include confirming the existence of dark matter, capturing the first images of planets outside our solar system, and providing evidence for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. How long will Hubble continue to operate?

Hubble has been in operation for over 30 years and has undergone several servicing missions to extend its lifespan. Its current expected retirement date is 2030, but it is possible that it could continue to operate beyond that with regular maintenance and upgrades.