The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field

In summary: This is a fun question. Electromagnetism is Lorentz invariant, but in the limit ##c\rightarrow \infty## the Galilean transformation of the EM field is*$$\begin{align*}\vec{E} &\rightarrow \vec{E}' = \vec{E} + \vec{u} \times \vec{B} \\ \vec{B} &\rightarrow \vec{B}' = \vec{B} \end{align*}$$To see how it plays out in this non-relativistic regime ##|\vec{v}| \ll c##, take the Lorentz force law in the frame
peace
Homework Statement
A particle has entered a magnetic field. Show the radius of the particle's motion as follows:
R= pc/qB

p= Particle momentum
q= Particle electric charge
Relevant Equations
Magnetic force=qvB
Centripetal force=mv^2/R
qvB=mv^2/R
R=mv/qB= p/qB !
As you can see, the difference between this relation and the relation in question is in 'c'.
Maybe my way is wrong. Maybe I should get help from relativity because the speed of light is involved here.
Please help. Thankful

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lorentz force in c.g.s. units is ##\vec F=\dfrac{q\vec v \times \vec B}{c}.~## Does this help?

Likes peace
using this relationship, the result is correct. But I'm still not sure.
Does this mean that the radius of motion is expressed in c.g.s. ?

peace said:
using this relationship, the result is correct. But I'm still not sure.
Does this mean that the radius of motion is expressed in c.g.s. ?
Yes, all quantities in the expression, including the speed of light, must be in c.g.s. The speed of light may be independent of the frame of reference but it is not independent of the systems of units.

Likes peace
So the Centripetal force also changes and must be in the c.g.s. Because I'm going to put both forces equal and get the radius through it. Yes?
How is this force in c.g.s ?

Hi. I’d like to add a few comments.

SI units are used 90-something % of the time these days. But CGS units are still occasionally used.

The equation [itex] R = \frac {pc}{qB} [/itex] is correct in CGS units. The CGS units to be used are:
length (radius): cm
momentum: g·cm/s
speed: cm/s
charge: statcoulomb
magnetic field: gauss
(If required, the CGS unit of force is the dyne, which is equivlaent to 1g·cm/s²)

The question as set is poor because it should tell you what system of units is being used.

Likes peace and Charles Link
Steve4Physics said:
Hi. I’d like to add a few comments.

SI units are used 90-something % of the time these days. But CGS units are still occasionally used.

The equation [itex] R = \frac {pc}{qB} [/itex] is correct in CGS units. The CGS units to be used are:
length (radius): cm
momentum: g·cm/s
speed: cm/s
charge: statcoulomb
magnetic field: gauss
(If required, the CGS unit of force is the dyne, which is equivlaent to 1g·cm/s²)

The question as set is poor because it should tell you what system of units is being used.
hi. Thanks for your explanation.
Yes, so the required radius is in CGS and not SI. Of course, unfortunately, the question did not say anything about this.
So I just have to write the Lorentz force in CGS and then I get the result. yes?

peace said:
So I just have to write the Lorentz force in CGS and then I get the result. yes?

Yes that's good. If you want a challenge, you might notice that you haven't actually shown the particle performs circular motion, you just assumed it. If you want, you could try to solve$$\frac{1}{c}q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} = m\ddot{\vec{r}}$$which, if we take ##\vec{B} = B\hat{z}##, is actually the coupled set of differential equations$$\dot{y} = \frac{mc}{Bq} \ddot{x}, \quad\dot{x} = \frac{mc}{Bq} \ddot{y}$$

Likes peace and Steve4Physics
peace said:
hi. Thanks for your explanation.
Yes, so the required radius is in CGS and not SI. Of course, unfortunately, the question did not say anything about this.
So I just have to write the Lorentz force in CGS and then I get the result. yes?Ye
Yes. I would start a written answer by noting that [itex]R =\frac{pc}{qB} [/itex] applies when CGS units are used, Then just state the magnetic force is F = Bqv/c in CGS units.

For information, the Lorentz force is actually the sum of the electric and magnetic forces. Since there is no electric field in this question , only the magnetic force is present. So I wouldn't refer to the force as the Lorentz force.

Likes peace
Steve4Physics said:
So I wouldn't refer to the force as the Lorentz force.

This is a fun question. Electromagnetism is Lorentz invariant, but in the limit ##c\rightarrow \infty## the Galilean transformation of the EM field is*$$\begin{align*}\vec{E} &\rightarrow \vec{E}' = \vec{E} + \vec{u} \times \vec{B} \\ \vec{B} &\rightarrow \vec{B}' = \vec{B} \end{align*}$$To see how it plays out in this non-relativistic regime ##|\vec{v}| \ll c##, take the Lorentz force law in the frame where the thing does circular motion, where ##\vec{E} = 0##,$$\vec{F} = q\vec{v} \times \vec{B}$$Now let's Galilean boost to a new frame so that ##\vec{v} = \vec{u} + \vec{v}'##,$$\begin{align*}\vec{F}' = q\vec{E}' + q\vec{v}' \times \vec{B}' &= \left[ q\vec{E} + q\vec{u} \times \vec{B} \right] + \left[ q(\vec{v} - \vec{u})\times \vec{B} \right] \\ &= q\vec{E} + q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} \\ &= q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} \\ &= \vec{F} \end{align*}$$We notice that the Lorentz force is invariant under this Galilean boost, ##\vec{F} = \vec{F}'##, however now it has an electric contribution ##q\vec{u} \times \vec{B}##, and a magnetic contribution of ##q\vec{v}' \times \vec{B}##!

A special case is where you take ##\vec{u} \parallel \vec{B}##, in which case ##\vec{u} \times \vec{B} = \vec{0}## and both fields are completely unchanged under a Galilean boost, i.e. ##\vec{E} = \vec{E}'## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{B}'##. That's a point which is often brushed under the rug when dealing with e.g. helical motion in a magnetic field, where a common method of solution is to transform into a frame where the thing is doing circular motion. It's not often explained that it's only valid because it's a special case where the fields are unchanged!

*to see where this comes from, the Lorentz transformation of the EM field is$$\vec{E}' = \gamma \left( \vec{E} + \vec{u} \times \vec{B} \right ) - \left ({\gamma-1} \right ) ( \vec{E} \cdot \hat{u} ) \hat{u}$$ $$\vec{B}' = \gamma \left( \vec{B} - \frac {\vec{u} \times \vec{E}}{c^2} \right ) - \left ({\gamma-1} \right ) ( \vec{B} \cdot \hat{u} ) \hat{u}$$now take the limit ##c\rightarrow \infty##, or ##\gamma \rightarrow 1## to obtain the EM transformation in the Galilean regime!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes peace

Related to The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field

1. What is the equation for the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The equation for the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field is given by the Lorentz force law: F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the motion of a charged particle by causing it to experience a force perpendicular to both the magnetic field and its velocity. This results in the particle moving in a circular or helical path, depending on the initial velocity and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the charge of the particle in its motion in a magnetic field?

The charge of the particle is significant because it determines the strength of the force it experiences in a magnetic field. A higher charge will result in a stronger force and a larger radius of curvature in the particle's path.

4. How does the velocity of the particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The velocity of the particle affects its motion in a magnetic field by determining the strength and direction of the force it experiences. A higher velocity will result in a larger force and a larger radius of curvature in the particle's path.

5. Can a charged particle's motion in a magnetic field be affected by other forces?

Yes, a charged particle's motion in a magnetic field can be affected by other forces, such as electric fields or gravitational fields. These forces will interact with the magnetic force and may alter the particle's path or velocity.