The Minkowski so-called 'metric'

In summary: A metric is just a symmetric non-degenerate tensor field of type (0,2). The metric of general relativity is not positive definite so it can't be called Riemannian, but it's still a metric.
jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've just been thinking (prolly a bad idea): Lorentzian metrics aren't actually metrics at all are they? In fact they're not even pseudometrics, so what are they exactly and why do we call them metrics (Actually I can probably guess that as they perform the same role a mteric does and they are symmetric and obey the triangle inequality)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A metric is just a just a symmetric non-degenerate tensor field of type (0,2). The metric of general relativity is not positive definite so it can't be called Riemannian, but it's still a metric.

I know it's not postive definite and it's pseudo-Riemannian, what I am actually talking about is 'metric' in the most primitive mathematical sense. i.e. a set S forms a metric space when combined with a function [itex]d:S^2 \rightarrow R[/itex], known as the metric which obeys the following axioms for all [itex]x,y,z \in S[/itex].

[tex]d(x,y) = d(y,x)[/tex]
[tex]d(x,y) \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]d(x,y) = 0 \iff x=y[/tex]
[tex]d(x,z) + d(y,z) \geq d(x,y)[/tex]

Last edited:
Ambitwistor (to give credit where it's due) has supplied me with the answer:

The conditions on the metric in a pseudo-Riemannian metric space are sufficiently relaxed that the metric may be of the form of the Minkowksi metric.

Last edited:
jcsd said:
I've just been thinking (prolly a bad idea): Lorentzian metrics aren't actually metrics at all are they? In fact they're not even pseudometrics, so what are they exactly and why do we call them metrics (Actually I can probably guess that as they perform the same role a mteric does and they are symmetric and obey the triangle inequality)?

The term "metric" means "to measure". The functions you gave are metrics in the sense that they provide some sort of measure. The metric *tensor* is an example of a mapping from vectors to scalars, e.g. ds^2 = g_ab dx^a dx^b where dx = vector and it gives a "measure" of the norm of a vector 'length' and the 'interval' between two points.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
The term "metric" means "to measure". The functions you gave are metrics in the sense that they provide some sort of measure. The metric *tensor* is an example of a mapping from vectors to scalars, e.g. ds^2 = g_ab dx^a dx^b where dx = vector and it gives a "measure" of the norm of a vector 'length' and the 'interval' between two points.

Pete

yes obviously it performs the same role as a metric does in a metric space and can intutively be thought as the distance. It was just that the Minkowski metirc does not meet the normal defintion of a metric, which worried me as after all when defining a metric for a vector space we usually require the set of vectors and the metric to form a metric space and we usually treat (for example) the set of all radius vectors in Minkowski space as a real vector space.

As I said Ambitwistor answerd this for me by saying that the conditions on the metric in a pseudo-Riemannian metric space were sufficently relaxed that the Minkowski metric is a suitable function to act as a metric in such a space.

There's no great distinction between a metric and a metric tensor , a metric tensor merely defines the metric for a vector space.

Last edited:

Related to The Minkowski so-called 'metric'

1. What is the Minkowski metric?

The Minkowski metric, also known as the Minkowski spacetime metric or the spacetime interval, is a mathematical tool used in the theory of relativity to measure distances and intervals in spacetime. It is named after the mathematician Hermann Minkowski.

2. How is the Minkowski metric different from the Euclidean metric?

The Minkowski metric differs from the Euclidean metric in that it takes into account both space and time, whereas the Euclidean metric only considers spatial distance. The Minkowski metric also has a signature of (-1,1,1,1) whereas the Euclidean metric has a signature of (+1,+1,+1).

3. What is the significance of the (-1,1,1,1) signature in the Minkowski metric?

The (-1,1,1,1) signature in the Minkowski metric represents the different signs associated with spatial and temporal components. The minus sign in the first position is associated with time, indicating that time is a negative component in the metric. This is a key concept in the theory of relativity, where time is considered as a dimension similar to space.

4. What is the Minkowski metric used for?

The Minkowski metric is used in the theory of special relativity to calculate distances and intervals in spacetime. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as in the study of black holes and in cosmology.

5. Can the Minkowski metric be applied to curved spacetime?

Yes, the Minkowski metric can be applied to curved spacetime. In general relativity, the Minkowski metric is used as a reference metric to define the curvature of spacetime. This allows for the calculation of distances and intervals on curved spacetime, which is essential for understanding the effects of gravity.