The minimum KE required for muons to travel a given distance

In summary: I was wrong, I made a mistake in substitution using ##E^2 = (pc)^2+ (E_0)^2##.So then like you said using the equationΔx0=γ(Δx′+vΔT′)I am only able to get ##v=2c/\gamma##
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

Muons of Kinetic energy 'E' are produced in collision with a target in a laboratory. The mass of a muon is ##106MeV/c^2## and its half life in it's rest frame is ## 1.4 * 10^{-6}## in its rest frame. what should be the minimum KE such that more than half of the muons createdwould travel a distance of 840 m to reach a detector from the target?

Homework Equations

## \Delta T_0= \gamma \Delta T'##
## \Delta x_0= \gamma (\Delta x'+v\Delta T')##
## E = (\gamma - 1)mc^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am bit confused since the mass is given in terms of energy/c^2. I do not know if the energy represented is Total energy or kinetic energy. If its KE, I can write the answer right away as 106 MeV and if its total energy then from ## E = (\gamma - 1)mc^2 ## ## \gamma mc^2 ## is the total energy
therefore 106 = E + mc^2 and from here E becomes 0 so both idea seems nonsensical to me.
So then it tells me I have to find ## \gamma ##. However I do not know how to get it from the info given.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rahulrj said:
I am bit confused since the mass is given in terms of energy/c^2. I do not know if the energy represented is Total energy or kinetic energy.
Please help!

##106MeV/c^2## is the rest mass of the muon. These units are useful because you can get the energy of the muon from:

##E = \gamma mc^2 = \gamma 106 MeV##

as the factors of ##c^2## cancel.

To solve this problem you need to do two things:

a) Find out the required speed of the muons.

b) Calculate the required KE from the speed.

PeroK said:
##106MeV/c^2## is the rest mass of the muon. These units are useful because you can get the energy of the muon from:

##E = \gamma mc^2 = \gamma 106 MeV##

as the factors of ##c^2## cancel.

To solve this problem you need to do two things:

a) Find out the required speed of the muons.

b) Calculate the required KE from the speed.
How can I find speed since I am unable to find ## \gamma## ?
the distance given is 840 m in lab frame and the time given is the half life in muons frame, So dividing them does not make sense and moreover v then becomes 2c. So can you give a hint on how to calculate speed?

I figured I can find ##\gamma ## from ##E^2 = (pc)^2+ (E_0)^2##
and it gives me ##\gamma = 2 ##. am I right?

Rahulrj said:
How can I find speed since I am unable to find ## \gamma## ?
the distance given is 840 m in lab frame and the time given is the half life in muons frame, So dividing them does not make sense and moreover v then becomes 2c. So can you give a hint on how to calculate speed?

This is a general problem in SR. You can look at it two ways.

1) In the lab frame, the faster the muon travels the longer it lives. The distance traveled in this time is a function of ##\gamma## and ##v##, but ##\gamma## is a function of ##v##, so you should be able to solve for ##v##.

2) In the muon's frame, the faster the lab is moving, the more the lab is length contracted. You should get the same equation for ##v## (and ##\gamma##) as you did above.

PeroK said:
This is a general problem in SR. You can look at it two ways.

1) In the lab frame, the faster the muon travels the longer it lives. The distance traveled in this time is a function of ##\gamma## and ##v##, but ##\gamma## is a function of ##v##, so you should be able to solve for ##v##.

2) In the muon's frame, the faster the lab is moving, the more the lab is length contracted. You should get the same equation for ##v## (and ##\gamma##) as you did above.
I do not see the need for calculating speed since I found that ##\gamma = 2## like I said in the above comment therefore ##E= (\gamma - 1)mc^2## which gives me 106 MeV as the answer. I do not understand why calculate KE from speed.

Rahulrj said:
I do not see the need for calculating speed since I found that ##\gamma = 2## like I said in the above comment therefore ##E= (\gamma - 1)mc^2## which gives me 106 MeV as the answer. I do not understand why calculate KE from speed.

How did you get ##\gamma = 2##?

PeroK said:
How did you get ##\gamma = 2##?
Oh I was wrong, I made a mistake in substitution using ##E^2 = (pc)^2+ (E_0)^2##.
So then like you said using the equation
Rahulrj said:
Δx0=γ(Δx′+vΔT′)
I am only able to get ##v=2c/\gamma##
Don't see how this helps which was why I tried using the other equation to find ##\gamma##

Rahulrj said:
Oh I was wrong, I made a mistake in substitution using ##E^2 = (pc)^2+ (E_0)^2##.
So then like you said using the equation

I am only able to get ##v=2c/\gamma##

That's correct. Remember that ##1/\gamma^2 = 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}##, so just square that equation and solve for ##v##, then get ##\gamma##.

Likes Rahulrj
PeroK said:
That's correct. Remember that ##1/\gamma^2 = 1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}##, so just square that equation and solve for ##v##, then get ##\gamma##.
Ah yes indeed, all long I forgot what \gamma was. So I get v = 0.894 c
and now how do I find KE directly from v? or were you referring to the equation ##E= (\gamma - 1)mc^2)## where I find \gamma by substituting for v?

Rahulrj said:
Ah yes indeed, all long I forgot what \gamma was. So I get v = 0.894 c
and now how do I find KE directly from v? or were you referring to the equation ##E= (\gamma - 1)mc^2)## where I find \gamma by substituting for v?

Once you have ##v## you can calculate ##\gamma##. Then, you have the kinetic energy ##T = (\gamma -1)mc^2##

Likes Rahulrj
PeroK said:
Once you have ##v## you can calculate ##\gamma##. Then, you have the kinetic energy ##T = (\gamma -1)mc^2##
Thank you

Related to The minimum KE required for muons to travel a given distance

1. What is the minimum kinetic energy (KE) required for muons to travel a given distance?

The minimum KE required for muons to travel a given distance depends on the specific distance and the energy of the muons. Generally, muons with higher energies will require less KE to travel a given distance compared to muons with lower energies. This is because higher energy muons have a higher velocity and can cover the distance in a shorter amount of time.

2. How is the minimum KE for muons calculated?

The minimum KE for muons can be calculated using the equation KE = (1/2)mv², where m is the mass of the muon and v is its velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of the muon to determine the amount of energy it needs to travel a given distance.

3. Is the minimum KE for muons affected by the medium they are traveling through?

Yes, the minimum KE for muons can be affected by the medium they are traveling through. This is because different mediums can cause muons to lose energy through interactions with particles in the medium. This loss of energy can affect the minimum KE required for muons to travel a given distance.

4. Can the minimum KE for muons change over time?

Yes, the minimum KE for muons can change over time. This is because the energy of the muons can change due to interactions with particles in the medium or due to decaying into other particles. Additionally, the distance the muons need to travel can also change, which can affect the minimum KE required.

5. How does the minimum KE for muons compare to other particles?

The minimum KE required for muons to travel a given distance is generally higher compared to other particles, such as electrons or protons. This is because muons have a larger mass and therefore require more energy to achieve the same velocity as lighter particles. Additionally, muons have a shorter lifespan compared to other particles, which can also affect their minimum KE requirements.