Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The metrices are topologically but not strongly equivalent

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Hey!! :eek:

Let $X=(0,1)$. For $x,y>0$ we consider the metrices:
  1. $d_1(x,y)=|x-y|$
  2. $d'(x,y)=\left |\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{y}\right |=\frac{|x-y|}{|xy|}$

I want to show that these are topologically equivalent but not strongly equivalent.

$d_1$ and $d'$ are strongly equivalent iff there are constants $k>0$ and $K>0$ such that \begin{equation*}kd_1(x,y)\le d'(x,y)\le \text{ for all $x,y$.}\end{equation*}

From there we get \begin{equation*}k\le \frac{d'(x,y)}{d_1(x,y)}\le K \Rightarrow k\le \frac{1}{|xy|}\le K\end{equation*} for all $x,y$.

It holds that $\frac{1}{|xy|}$ is not bounded for all $x,y$. If $x,y\rightarrow 0$ then $\frac{1}{|xy|}\rightarrow \infty$.

Therefore the metrices $d_1$ and $d'$ are not strongly equivalent.

Is everything correct so far? (Wondering)

Could you give me a hint how to show that these are topologically equivalent? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
$d_1$ and $d'$ are strongly equivalent iff there are constants $k>0$ and $K>0$ such that \begin{equation*}kd_1(x,y)\le d'(x,y)\le \text{ for all $x,y$.}\end{equation*}

From there we get \begin{equation*}k\le \frac{d'(x,y)}{d_1(x,y)}\le K \Rightarrow k\le \frac{1}{|xy|}\le K\end{equation*} for all $x,y$.
Hey mathmari !!

We cannot divide by $d_1(x,y)$ since it can be 0. This happens when $x=y$. (Worried)

It holds that $\frac{1}{|xy|}$ is not bounded for all $x,y$. If $x,y\rightarrow 0$ then $\frac{1}{|xy|}\rightarrow \infty$.

Therefore the metrices $d_1$ and $d'$ are not strongly equivalent.

Is everything correct so far?
The formula still holds if $x\ne y$ so indeed those metrics are not strongly equivalent. (Nod)

Could you give me a hint how to show that these are topologically equivalent?
From wikipedia:
The two metrics $d_1$ and $d_2$ are said to be topologically equivalent if they generate the same topology on $X$. The adjective "topological" is often dropped.
There are multiple ways of expressing this condition:
  • a subset $A \subseteq X$ is $d_1$-open if and only if it is $d_2$-open;
  • the open balls "nest": for any point $x \in X$ and any radius $r > 0$, there exist radii $r', r'' > 0$ such that
    :: $B_{r'} (x; d_1) \subseteq B_r (x; d_2) \text{ and } B_{r''} (x; d_2) \subseteq B_r (x; d_1).$
  • the identity function $I : X \to X$ is both $(d_1, d_2)$-continuous and $(d_2, d_1)$-continuous.
The following are sufficient but not necessary conditions for topological equivalence:
  • there exists a strictly increasing, continuous, and subadditive $f:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}_{+}$ such that $d_2 = f \circ d_1 $.
  • for each $x \in X$, there exist positive constants $\alpha$ and $\beta$ such that, for every point $y \in X$,
    :: $\alpha d_1 (x, y) \leq d_2 (x, y) \leq \beta d_1 (x, y).$

Perhaps we can check one of those 'multiple ways'? (Thinking)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
We cannot divide by $d_1(x,y)$ since it can be 0. This happens when $x=y$. (Worried)
So what has to be done then? (Wondering)

From wikipedia:
The following are sufficient but not necessary conditions for topological equivalence:
  • there exists a strictly increasing, continuous, and subadditive $f:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}_{+}$ such that $d_2 = f \circ d_1 $.
  • for each $x \in X$, there exist positive constants $\alpha$ and $\beta$ such that, for every point $y \in X$,
    :: $\alpha d_1 (x, y) \leq d_2 (x, y) \leq \beta d_1 (x, y).$

Perhaps we can check one of those 'multiple ways'? (Thinking)
We have that $d'=d_1(\frac{1}{x}, \frac{1}{y})$, or not? Can we use that? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
So what has to be done then?
We are effectively giving a counter example.
It suffices to just include as part of the counter example that we pick $x\ne y$ so that we won't divide by zero. (Nerd)

We have that $d'=d_1(\frac{1}{x}, \frac{1}{y})$, or not? Can we use that?
We must have that $x$ is in $(0,1)$, but $\frac 1 x$ is not in $(0,1)$ is it? (Worried)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
We are effectively giving a counter example.
It suffices to just include as part of the counter example that we pick $x\ne y$ so that we won't divide by zero. (Nerd)
Ahh ok!!

We must have that $x$ is in $(0,1)$, but $\frac 1 x$ is not in $(0,1)$ is it? (Worried)
Why is $x$ in $(0,1)$ ? Isn't it in $(0,\infty)$ ? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Because your problem statement says:

(Thinking)

I saw now that there is a typo, it should be $X=(0,\infty)$.

What can we do in this case? Can we use the criterion with the function of compoisition? (Wondering)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Is the following true?

Two metrices $d,d′$ on a set $X$ are topologically equivalent iff the map $(X,d)\rightarrow (X,d'), x\mapsto x$ is continuous and the map $(X,d')\rightarrow (X,d), x\mapsto x$ is continuous.

From that we get that each convergent sequence in respect to $d$ converges also in respect to $d'$ with the same limit.

Or is this not correct?

So, we have that $d'(x,y)=d_1(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ and the function $f$ is contiuous on $X$.

We also have that $d_1(x,y)=d'(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ and the function $f$ is contiuous on $X$.

Does it follow therefore that the two metrices are topologically equivalent? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Is the following true?

Two metrices $d,d′$ on a set $X$ are topologically equivalent iff the map $(X,d)\rightarrow (X,d'), x\mapsto x$ is continuous and the map $(X,d')\rightarrow (X,d), x\mapsto x$ is continuous.
That looks as if it is the same as:
The two metrics $d_1$ and $d_2$ are said to be topologically equivalent if they generate the same topology on $X$.
There are multiple ways of expressing this condition:
  • the identity function $I : X \to X$ is both $(d_1, d_2)$-continuous and $(d_2, d_1)$-continuous.

So yes, that is true. (Smile)

From that we get that each convergent sequence in respect to $d$ converges also in respect to $d'$ with the same limit.

Or is this not correct?
Maybe. How is that relevant? (Wondering)

So, we have that $d'(x,y)=d_1(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ and the function $f$ is contiuous on $X$.

We also have that $d_1(x,y)=d'(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ and the function $f$ is contiuous on $X$.

Does it follow therefore that the two metrices are topologically equivalent?
I guess you are trying to apply:
Is that the case? (Wondering)

If so, what you have is a $d_1\circ f$ instead of $f\circ d_1$, don't you?
I don't think we can apply it that way. (Shake)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
I guess you are trying to apply:
Is that the case? (Wondering)

If so, what you have is a $d_1\circ f$ instead of $f\circ d_1$, don't you?
I don't think we can apply it that way. (Shake)
Ah so we cannot use the fact that $d'(x,y)=d_1(f(x), f(y))$ and $d_1(x,y)=d'(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ ? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Ah so we cannot use the fact that $d'(x,y)=d_1(f(x), f(y))$ and $d_1(x,y)=d'(f(x), f(y))$ with $f(x)=\frac{1}{x}$ ?
I don't see how. (Worried)

Suppose we try to apply:
  • the open balls "nest": for any point $x \in X$ and any radius $r > 0$, there exist radii $r', r'' > 0$ such that
    :: $B_{r'} (x; d_1) \subseteq B_r (x; d_2) \text{ and } B_{r''} (x; d_2) \subseteq B_r (x; d_1).$

Whatever we pick for $x$ and $r$, the ball $B_r (x; d')$ will be an open interval that is a subset of $(0,\infty)$ won't it?
Say that it is the interval $(a,b)$ and $x\in(a,b)$.
Then we can always find an $r'$ such that $B_{r'} (x; d_1) \subseteq (a,b)$ can't we?
We can pick for instance $r'=\frac 12\min(x-a,b-x)$. (Thinking)