Need help with an astronomy experiment

In summary, the purpose of the astronomy experiment is to investigate and gather data about celestial bodies and phenomena in the universe. The materials needed can vary, but may include a telescope, camera, computer, and specialized tools. The setup of the equipment should be done according to instructions and with a basic understanding of how it works. The expected outcome will depend on the research question and may lead to new insights and discoveries. Safety concerns may arise, such as eye injury and hazards when working with equipment, so it is important to follow safety protocols and seek guidance from a supervisor.
Slimchandi
I am at the moment in the middle of the classic "determining the mass of Jupiter by the motion of the moons" experiment. I have, however ground to a halt at a certain point, and am unsure as how to proceed.

I have a series of photographs of the moons. We have a beautiful 14" in our University obs, but this gives too small a view, so we use a 500mm camera lens on the mount. Seems like a waste to me..

So as you can imagine, Jupiter appears pretty small on these images. The next difficulty comes with measuring the distances moved by the moons. Some pictures appear to have different scales. They were not all taken by myself, they were taken by lots of other people over a period of about a month. This means I have no way of relating the distance traveled in one picture to that of a different scale in another.

The only almost suitable method is to compare the distance of the moon to the diameter of Jupiter. But the small size of the pictures means that if I use a picture viewer, I can never measure to the middle of the moon, only to the edge of a pixel either side.

We've been given a spreadsheet with a SOLVER routine to output more accurate measures of a and P which would be needed for the graph which gives the mass, but until all the images are at the same scale, this is pretty useless. Also, the routine calculates assuming you used millimetres in the measurement, which is pretty silly!

I have about five or six data points for each moon. If anyone could impart any words of wisdom to help me with this, it would calm me down an awful lot, It's due in in three days!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, I commend you for taking on a classic experiment in determining the mass of Jupiter using the motion of its moons. It is a challenging but rewarding task.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that the main issue you are facing is the inconsistency in scales among the photographs of the moons. This is a common problem in scientific experiments, especially when data is collected from various sources.

One solution to this problem could be to use a reference object in the photographs, such as a star or another celestial body, that has a known distance from Jupiter. This would allow you to calibrate the scale in each photograph and make accurate measurements of the moons' distances.

Another approach could be to use software that can analyze and measure the images for you. There are various image analysis programs available that can help with this task, such as ImageJ or Adobe Photoshop. These programs have measurement tools that can be calibrated to a known scale, allowing you to accurately measure the distances of the moons.

As for the SOLVER routine you have been given, I suggest double-checking the calculations and making sure they are appropriate for the units you are using. If necessary, you can convert the measurements to millimeters before inputting them into the spreadsheet.

I understand that your deadline is approaching, but it is important to take the time to ensure the accuracy of your data. Inaccurate measurements can lead to incorrect conclusions and undermine the validity of your experiment.

I wish you the best of luck with your experiment and hope that these suggestions will help you overcome the challenges you are facing. Remember to stay calm and focused, and don't hesitate to seek advice from your colleagues or supervisor if needed.

First of all, don't panic! Astronomy experiments can be tricky and it's not uncommon to run into roadblocks along the way. It's great that you have access to a 14" telescope and a 500mm camera lens, but I understand your frustration with the small size of the images. One suggestion would be to try using a higher magnification eyepiece on the telescope to get a closer view of Jupiter and the moons. This may help with your measurements.

As for the issue with different scales in the photographs, it's important to have a consistent scale in order to accurately measure the distances moved by the moons. One solution could be to reach out to the individuals who took the photos and ask for their camera settings or the distance from the telescope to the camera. This may help you to calibrate the images and have a consistent scale for your measurements.

Another option could be to use a computer program or software designed for astronomical measurements. These programs often have tools that allow you to calibrate images and measure distances accurately. It may be worth looking into and seeing if your university has any resources or software available for this purpose.

In regards to the spreadsheet with the SOLVER routine, it's unfortunate that it assumes millimeters for the measurements. One solution could be to convert your measurements to millimeters before inputting them into the spreadsheet. Alternatively, you could use a different spreadsheet or program that allows for different units of measurement.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to your professor or classmates for help. They may have some tips or suggestions that could help you with your experiment. And remember, even if your results are not perfect, the process and effort you put into the experiment is still valuable and a learning experience.

Good luck with your experiment and don't stress too much! You got this.

1. What is the purpose of the astronomy experiment?

The purpose of the astronomy experiment is to investigate and gather data about celestial bodies and phenomena in the universe. This can range from studying the movements of planets and stars to observing the effects of cosmic events such as supernovas and black holes.

2. What are the materials needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for an astronomy experiment can vary depending on the specific experiment. However, some common materials may include a telescope, a camera or other imaging equipment, a computer for data analysis, and specialized tools for measuring and recording astronomical data.

3. How do I set up the equipment for the experiment?

The setup of the equipment will also depend on the nature of the experiment. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the experiment protocol or by your supervisor. Additionally, it may be helpful to have a basic understanding of how the equipment works and to practice setting it up before the actual experiment.

4. What is the expected outcome of the experiment?

The expected outcome will vary depending on the research question being investigated. It is important to have a clear hypothesis or goal for the experiment before beginning and to carefully record and analyze the data collected. The outcome may be a confirmation or rejection of the hypothesis, or it may lead to new insights and discoveries.

5. Are there any potential safety concerns with this experiment?

Yes, there may be potential safety concerns with an astronomy experiment. Depending on the equipment being used, there may be risks such as eye injury from looking at the sun through a telescope, or potential hazards when working with electrical equipment. It is important to carefully read and follow safety protocols and to seek guidance from a supervisor if needed.