The mathematics of circular motion.

In summary, the conversation discussed circular motion and the concept of centripetal force being the resultant of all forces acting on an object. The link provided a formula for calculating centripetal force, but the reasoning behind it was not explained well. The second link provided a more thorough explanation of the logic and reasoning behind the formula.
ajassat
I am a high school student with a general interest in physics of all types.

We have learned that circular motion is possible because of the centripetal force acting towards the centre. I gather that the centripetal force is the resultant of the gravitational and outward forces. The object moving around the circle is accelerating because the direction of the object changes at tangents to the circles.

I would like to know about the mathematics which proves this. Can someone introduce some equations and explain them to me?

Where is the math which governs the net centripetal force?
Can we calculate the angular momentum?

Regards,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
ajassat said:
I gather that the centripetal force is the resultant of the gravitational and outward forces.

The centripetal force is simply the resultant of all forces acting on the object. In most situations where we discuss circular motion, there is no outward force acting on the object. For example, the only (significant) force on a satellite orbiting the Earth is the (inward) gravitational force exerted by the Earth.

I would like to know about the mathematics which proves this. Can someone introduce some equations and explain them to me?

Perhaps this page might help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/cf.html

jtbell said:
The centripetal force is simply the resultant of all forces acting on the object. In most situations where we discuss circular motion, there is no outward force acting on the object. For example, the only (significant) force on a satellite orbiting the Earth is the (inward) gravitational force exerted by the Earth.

Perhaps this page might help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/cf.html

The link was good in the sense it told me the formula and I was able to practice some calculations. However, using which logic and reasoning do we come to that formula?

Jeff Reid said:
Covered, but not explained well on that same web page:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/cf.html#cf2

given
1. S/r = dV/V
2. S = V dt

Solve 1. for S

S = r dv/V

substitute in 2.

r dv/V = V dt

rearange this

dv/dt = V^2 / r

a = dv/dt = V^2 / r

Excellent. I now see the logic behind the formula. Thank you.

Related to The mathematics of circular motion.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as planets orbiting the sun, a ball spinning on a string, or a car going around a circular track.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves with a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes as it moves along the circular path. In uniform circular motion, the object experiences a constant centripetal acceleration towards the center of the circle, while in non-uniform circular motion, the centripetal acceleration can vary.

3. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v²/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. In circular motion, these two velocities are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How is circular motion related to trigonometry and calculus?

Trigonometry is used to calculate the various angles and sides of a circular path, while calculus is used to analyze the motion and acceleration of objects in circular motion. Calculus is particularly useful in determining the exact position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in circular motion at any given time.