The Many-Worlds Interpretation: how far does it go?

In summary: Hi DemystThe link to the paper is fine - its not a book - but even if it was I wouldn't see a problem as long as its not to a pirated copy.ThanksBillIn summary, the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment in the many worlds interpretation proposes that there are two possible outcomes: the cat is either dead or alive in different universes. However, there are also an infinite number of other possibilities, such as different positions the cat could occupy. This leads to the question of whether the universe replicates to accommodate all these possibilities, even at the atomic level. There are arguments that explain the randomness from determinism in this theory, but it is still highly controversial and has been criticized for not adequately
Patriciamsv
The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment provides two possible outcomes in the many worlds interpretation; it is dead in one universe, and alive in the other. There are however many other possibilities of what could happen; there are wave functions concerning the positions which the cat may occupy. The cat could be lying down 3cm away from the left side of the box, or 4cm from the right side. Measurements like these show that there are an infinite amount of possibilities, especially when we think about it to an atomic level.

In this theory, does the universe replicate to accommodate each and every one of the possibilities, even at the atomic level?

Further more, since we have so many possibilities of what may happen in every single action ever made, are there also universes which have a different combinations of the possibilities made?

Physics news on Phys.org
Patriciamsv said:
The Many-Worlds Interpretation: how far does it go?

WAY beyond reason, if you ask me :smile:

Patriciamsv said:
In this theory, does the universe replicate to accommodate each and every one of the possibilities, even at the atomic level? Further more, since we have so many possibilities of what may happen in every single action ever made, are there also universes which have a different combinations of the possibilities made?

Yes and yes.

Now you understand why people balk at it.

But you also need to understand it, from the viewpoint of the formalism, its unbelievably beautiful. Before I started delving a bit deeper into it I simply thought along the lines of how can such a radical view be correct and those that were embracing it resorted to mysticism. But now I know its beauty I understand much better its appeal. Aside from its weirdness its everything you could want. Its deterministic, no measurement problem, no collapse - there are even arguments that explain the randomness from the determinism - everything is beautiful and neat.

Personally I still can't stomach it, but it has many many positives.

Thanks
Bill

Patriciamsv said:
In this theory, does the universe replicate to accommodate each and every one of the possibilities, even at the atomic level?
It is important to highlight that there is no explicit "replication mechanism" - it just happens naturally from the evolution of the quantum-mechanical wave function.

bhobba said:
Yes and yes.

Now you understand why people balk at it.

But you also need to understand it, from the viewpoint of the formalism, its unbelievably beautiful. Before I started delving a bit deeper into it I simply thought along the lines of how can such a radical view be correct and those that were embracing it resorted to mysticism. But now I know its beauty I understand much better its appeal. Aside from its weirdness its everything you could want. Its deterministic, no measurement problem, no collapse - there are even arguments that explain the randomness from the determinism - everything is beautiful and neat.

Personally I still can't stomach it, but it has many many positives.

Thanks
Bill

Can you recommend any good secondary sources which which deal with the aspects of many words theories you describe?

EskWIRED said:
Can you recommend any good secondary sources which which deal with the aspects of many words theories you describe?

Most definitely.

The book I am studying on it at the moment:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mert0130/books-emergent.shtml

Watch it though. It's written by a philosopher but a rather interesting one - he also, aside from professional qualifications in philosophy, has a Phd in Quantum Physics. Because of that he, correctly, doesn't shy away from the math.

You may need to get a bit of guidance from people on this forum on the background necessary to understand it. The payoff is you will get a much better and deeper understanding than the rubbish often found in the popular press. So get a copy and post about what you are finding difficulty with. It will be a journey you will not complete overnight - but rest assured you can complete it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Patriciamsv said:

Further more, since we have so many possibilities of what may happen in every single action ever made, are there also universes which have a different combinations of the possibilities made?
As bhobba already said, yes and yes.

bhobba said:
- there are even arguments that explain the randomness from the determinism -
It should be stressed that these arguments are considered highly controversial. This and problem
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4289
are widely considered to be the two main problems with many worlds.

bhobba said:
Yes and yes.

Thank you for your responses. However, if there is an infinite amount of possibilities, how does the universe know how many times to branch into new universes?

There is not an infinite amount, and you can find the answer to that question in my previous post (#4): the splitting process is a natural consequence of quantum mechanics. There is nothing additional going on.

mfb said:
There is not an infinite amount, and you can find the answer to that question in my previous post (#4): the splitting process is a natural consequence of quantum mechanics. There is nothing additional going on.

Highly controversial. Not even David Wallace would go that far and see Demyst's post

Bit easier on the eye

bhobba said:
Most definitely.

The book I am studying on it at the moment:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mert0130/books-emergent.shtml

This is possibly my fave book of all time. However, David Wallace also provides the following self-contained, easier-to-read and more to-the-point (for a newcomer to the debates) papers:

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/8888/

A good place to start, albeit Wallace assumes some familiarity with the measurement problem literature

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/8892/

More aimed at philosophers than physicists, but a nice read with good overview

PS The links i gave above are to preprints. I'm aware of Forum rules re eligible journals, but I'm not aware if any rules apply to preprints. Mods - some guidance?

Patriciamsv said:
The Schrodinger's cat thought experiment provides two possible outcomes in the many worlds interpretation; it is dead in one universe, and alive in the other. There are however many other possibilities of what could happen; there are wave functions concerning the positions which the cat may occupy. The cat could be lying down 3cm away from the left side of the box, or 4cm from the right side. Measurements like these show that there are an infinite amount of possibilities, especially when we think about it to an atomic level.

Imagine...
every branch can split to a Graham's number exponential of branchs, in turn, any split of that branch split again to a Graham exponential and so on and so on...
per secula seculorum...

Demystifier said:
It should be stressed that these arguments are considered highly controversial.

Indeed they are - but the reference I gave lays it all bare. Nothing like knowing the detail to make up your own mind.

Thanks
Bill

Quantumental said:
Highly controversial. Not even David Wallace would go that far and see Demyst's post

David Wallice indeed goes that far. People can make up their own mind about it knowing the detail. My view is there are issues, but will reserve my final opinion until I have gone through his book.

Thanks
Bill

Patriciamsv said:
Thank you for your responses. However, if there is an infinite amount of possibilities, how does the universe know how many times to branch into new universes?

In the MWI it doesn't have to know - but you need the detail of the theory to understand why.

And what Demysterfyer mentions is part of the controversy eg the well known factoring problem. Again you need to understand the detail to know what's going on. And also be aware not everyone believes the factoring problem is a problem. For example Schlosshauer doesn't even mention it in his book on Decohrerence and I did manage do dig up a paper where from a simplified model it was shown to not be an issue. IMHO more research needs to be done.

It has been thrashed out in quite a few threads, you just need to do a bit of a search.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to The Many-Worlds Interpretation: how far does it go?

1. What is the Many-Worlds Interpretation?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes. It proposes that every time a quantum measurement is made, the universe splits into multiple branches, with each branch representing a different outcome of the measurement.

2. How far does the Many-Worlds Interpretation go?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation goes as far as to suggest the existence of an infinite number of parallel universes. This means that for every possible outcome of a quantum measurement, there is a parallel universe in which that outcome occurred.

3. What implications does the Many-Worlds Interpretation have?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation has significant implications for our understanding of reality and the concept of free will. It challenges the idea of a single, objective reality and suggests that all possible outcomes of a measurement exist simultaneously in different universes. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in determining which universe we experience.

4. Is the Many-Worlds Interpretation widely accepted?

The Many-Worlds Interpretation is a controversial theory, with some scientists and philosophers supporting it and others rejecting it. It is not the only interpretation of quantum mechanics, and many scientists continue to explore and debate its implications.

5. Can the existence of parallel universes be proven?

Currently, there is no way to prove the existence of parallel universes, as they are beyond our ability to observe or measure. The Many-Worlds Interpretation remains a theoretical concept that cannot be tested directly. However, advancements in technology and further research may provide new insights into the possibility of parallel universes.