The magnitude of the force of friction

In summary, the equation solvedFf = μ x mg only applies to gravity and involves the friction coefficient and force applied to the object. The g value used in the equation is not the force being applied. Another way to solve the problem is to use the equations of motion to solve for acceleration and then extract the force, or to use the concept of work and kinetic energy to determine the energy lost and solve for the force.
Anon1456
solved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anon1456 said:
Ff = μ x mg??
I am not an expert but I believe that equation only applies to gravity. It would be mu (the friction coefficient) times the force applied to the box (which, because your mass is 1 in this case, is equal to the acceleration before friction). The g you used in your post, that is equal to 9.81 m/s^2 is calculated from Newton's equation F=GM/r^2. That is not the force being applied to the box. I hope that helps!

Likes Anon1456
By box I meant the object. I ususually think of these objects as boxes.

Likes Anon1456
Anon1456 said:
Not sure what formula to use.

Net force equals mass times acceleration.

Likes Anon1456
Mister T said:
Net force equals mass times acceleration.
There are two general strategies that can be used to solve this exercise.

One uses the starting point that Mister T suggests -- Express acceleration in terms of the applied force. If you can solve the equations of motion for the acceleration, you can extract the force from that.

The other uses the notion of work and kinetic energy. You are told the distance covered and you can compute the energy that must be lost...

Likes Anon1456

Related to The magnitude of the force of friction

1. What is the definition of the magnitude of the force of friction?

The magnitude of the force of friction is the strength or intensity of the force that resists the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is the magnitude of the force of friction calculated?

The magnitude of the force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force of friction?

The magnitude of the force of friction is influenced by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the normal force applied, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces.

4. How does the magnitude of the force of friction impact motion?

The magnitude of the force of friction acts against the direction of motion, causing a decrease in the speed of the moving object. It also helps to prevent slipping or sliding between two surfaces.

5. Can the magnitude of the force of friction be reduced?

Yes, the magnitude of the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Additionally, smoother surfaces and reduced normal force can also decrease the magnitude of the force of friction.