Ship Bombardment: Calculating Angles at 1800m

• Thread starter discoverer02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles Ship
In summary: An enemy ship can maneuver to within 2500m of the 1800-m-high mountain peak and can shoot projectiles with an initial speed of 250m/s. If the eastern shoreline is horizontally 300m from the peak, what are the distances from the eastern shore at which a ship can be safe from the bombardment of the enemy ship?
discoverer02
An enemy ship is on the western side of a mountain island. The enemy ship can maneuver to within 2500 m of the 1800-m-high mountain peak and can shoot projectiles with an initial speed of 250m/s. If the eastern shoreline is horizontally 300m from the peak, what are the distances from the eastern shore at which a ship can be safe from the bombardment of the enemy ship?

I need to find the two angles at which the height of the projectile is 1800m at 2500m from the boad, but I'm having trouble relating all the different equations for Range, max height, and the other kinematic equations for motion in two dimensions.

A suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Likes phituck
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, here's my latest approach. I want the height of the projectile to be 1800m at the same time it's moved 2500m horizontally.

The time at which it moves 2500m horizontally is 10sec/cos@. I then plug this into y = at^2 + vt + y(initial).

So, 1800m = -490m/(cos@)^2 + 2500m(sin@)/cos@ Am I correct so far?

If so, I'm at a loss as to how I should deal with the trigonometry.

Hi discoverer02,
you forgot the factor 1/2 in your equation, but you fixed that in the next step. So I think your analysis is OK.

I tried more simple approaches, but none worked. So I think this is the way to do it. Next, you could of course substitute sin a = sqrt (1 - (cos a)^2). This will give a biquadratic equation for cos a, which has indeed 2 solutions. It's not difficult, but lengthy & boring. Sorry, I see no other way.

Hi arcnets,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the problem and posting a suggestion.

I'm still a little stumped by the trigonometry. If I use the identity you suggest, do I plug sqrt(1-(cos A)^2) into the quadratic equation when solving for 1/(cos a)? If not, then I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Thanks again for your help.

discoverer02

Originally posted by discoverer02
1800m = -490m/(cos@)^2 + 2500m(sin@)/cos@

Next (omitting units and using C = cos@):
1800 = -490/C^2 + 2500 sqrt(1-C^2)/C
1800 C^2 = -490 + 2500 C sqrt(1-C^2)
1800 C^2 + 490 = 2500 C sqrt(1-C^2)
1800^2 C^4 + 490^2 + 2*1800*490*C^2 = 2500^2 C^2 (1 - C^2)
1800^2 C^4 + 490^2 + 2*1800*490*C^2 = 2500^2 C^2 - 2500^2 C^4
4300 C^4 + (2*1800*490 - 2500^2) C^2 + 490^2 = 0.

That's the biquadratic beast. Solve.

arcnets,

Thanks again.

I thought maybe there was an easier way than squaring both sides that I wasn't seeing, but I guess not.

I guess I've become use to homework problems resolving themselves into neat little equations. Not always the case though.

Maybe there's a nice, easy, and symmetric solution. But I don't see one.
There's an error in my last line, Should read
9490000 C^4 + ...

solution

use y=y1+V1y(t-t1)-g/2(t-t1)^2 (assume y=0 and t1=0)
which gives V1y+-g/2(t^2)

x=x1+V1x(t-t1) (assume X1=0 and t1=0
which gives V1x(t)

thus the entire formula to determin the angle(upper) and angle(lower) is:
y=V1y(x/V1*x) - g/2(x^2/V1x^2)

for y you should work everything down to a quadratic equation.

Get there using the formula:

(Y1 sin(theta1))/Y1 cos(theta1))*x - g/2V1^2(x^2/cos^2(theta1)

You can see that sin and cos turn into xtan(theta1)

you can pull out the x^2 on the top of the equation on the right side [g/2(x^2/V1x^2)] and get 1/cos^2(theta1) This will give you (being that 1 is the same as guess what? cos^2(theta1)+sin^2(theta1) just plug in that into your formula and that will eventually give you the ultimate quadratic of:
y=xtan(theta1)-g/2V1^2[((cos^2(theta1)+sin^2(theta1))/(cos^2(theta1)]*x^2

which turns into the formula I have post on my web site.

http://home.satx.rr.com/wysocki/images/formula.jpg [Broken]

That should get you going. Just remember that the + value of the quadratic is the upper angle and the - value is the lower angle.

Im not going to give you exact values but the upper angle is more than 69 degrees and the lower angle is less than 50 degrees.

Peace out bro

M2k

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the angle of a ship's bombardment at 1800m calculated?

The angle of a ship's bombardment at 1800m is calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. This involves measuring the distance between the ship and the target, as well as the height of the target above the water. By using the tangent function, the angle can be calculated as the inverse tangent of the height divided by the distance.

2. What is the significance of 1800m in ship bombardment calculations?

1800m is the ideal distance for a ship to be from its target in order to achieve maximum accuracy and effectiveness in bombardment. This distance allows for enough time for the shell to reach the target and also minimizes the effect of environmental factors such as wind and waves.

3. How do environmental factors affect the angle calculation for ship bombardment?

Environmental factors such as wind and waves can affect the trajectory of the shell and therefore, the angle of the ship's bombardment. Wind can cause the shell to deviate from its intended path, while waves can affect the stability of the ship and its ability to maintain a consistent angle. These factors must be taken into account when calculating the angle for ship bombardment at 1800m.

4. Can the angle for ship bombardment at 1800m be calculated manually?

Yes, the angle for ship bombardment at 1800m can be calculated manually using trigonometric functions and basic measurements. However, many modern ships have advanced technology and instruments that can automatically calculate and adjust the angle for optimum accuracy.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating the angle for ship bombardment at 1800m?

Aside from distance, height, and environmental factors, the type of ammunition being used, the speed and course of the ship, and the target's movement all need to be taken into consideration when calculating the angle for ship bombardment at 1800m. These factors can greatly affect the trajectory of the shell and the accuracy of the bombardment.