Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Number Theory The little theorem and its implication of coprimality.

bamuelsanks

Apr 2, 2012
Hi guys.

I'm rather new to number theory, and as part of an assignment I have been learning about various different primality tests.
One of these tests is the Lucas primality test.
As part of the reasoning behind the test, wikipedia states:
"If [$a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \textrm{ (mod }n\textrm{)}$] holds for a, we can deduce that a and n are coprime".
Would anybody be able to help me understand why this is true?

Thanks,
SB

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
A theorem due to Leonhard Euler...

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulersTotientTheorem.html

... establishes that for all a coprime to n is...

$\displaystyle a^{\varphi (n)} \equiv 1\ \text{mod}\ n$ (1)

... where $\varphi(n)$ is the 'Euler's Totiens Function'. Now if n is prime is $\displaystyle \varphi(n)=n-1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
A theorem due to Leonhard Euler...

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulersTotientTheorem.html

... establishes that for all a coprime to n is...

$\displaystyle a^{\varphi (n)} \equiv 1\ \text{mod}\ n$ (1)

... where $\varphi(n)$ is the 'Euler's Totiens Function'. Now if n is prime is $\displaystyle \varphi(n)=n-1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
That is the converse of what the OP is trying to prove. Secondly, the OP does not say that $n$ is prime.

Last edited:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
What is written by Alexmahone is true. The converse of the Euler's totient theorem established that if...

$\displaystyle a^{\varphi(n)} \equiv 1\ \text{mod}\ n$ (1)

... then a and n are coprime. The important point however is that the identity $\displaystyle \varphi(n)=n-1$ holds only for n prime...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
What is written by Alexmahone is true. The converse of the Euler's totient theorem established that if...

$\displaystyle a^{\varphi(n)} \equiv 1\ \text{mod}\ n$ (1)

... then a and n are coprime. The important point however is that the identity $\displaystyle \varphi(n)=n-1$ holds only for n prime...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Honestly, I don't think you've proved anything. If you think you have, could you please write your proof out?

To be precise, I don't see how you went from $a^{n-1}\equiv 1\pmod{n}$ to $a^{\phi(n)}\equiv 1\pmod{n}$. Note that $n$ need not be prime.

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Hi guys.

I'm rather new to number theory, and as part of an assignment I have been learning about various different primality tests.
One of these tests is the Lucas primality test.
As part of the reasoning behind the test, wikipedia states:
"If [$a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \textrm{ (mod }n\textrm{)}$] holds for a, we can deduce that a and n are coprime".
Would anybody be able to help me understand why this is true?
If $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$ then $a^{n-1} = 1+kn$ for some integer $k$. Thus $a^{n-1}$ and $n$ cannot have any prime common factor. But the prime factors of $a^{n-1}$ are the same as those of $a$. Hence $a$ and $n$ are coprime.

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
If $a^{n-1} \equiv 1 \pmod n$ then $a^{n-1} = 1+kn$ for some integer $k$. Thus $a^{n-1}$ and $n$ cannot have any prime common factor. But the prime factors of $a^{n-1}$ are the same as those of $a$. Hence $a$ and $n$ are coprime.
You didn't use the fact that the exponent of $a$ is $n-1$, so is it true for any exponent?

bamuelsanks

Apr 2, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies!
I understand it now, though I couldn't quite follow chisigma's response unfortunately.
Apologies for not making clear that $n$ was not necessarily prime.

Thanks again,
SB

Chris11

Mar 20, 2012
Uses Bezout's idenity. We have that we can write \(\displaystyle a^{n-1}=kn+1\) Now, we have that 1=-kn+a^{n-1}. As this is the least possible positive number, it follows that it's the least positive positive number writable as a linear combo of n and a (n>1 otherwise, it's trivial). Hence, gcd(n,a)=1.

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
a more group-theoretical approach (assuming n ≥ 2):

suppose an-1 = 1 (mod n).

then [a] (the residue of a mod n)

is a unit of Zn (with inverse [an-2]).

this means gcd([a],n) = 1.

since a = [a] + kn, we have:

s([a]) + tn = 1 so:

s(a - kn) + tn = 1, and:

sa + (t-k)n = 1, which shows gcd(a,n) = 1.

melese

Feb 24, 2012
If $a\equiv b\pmod n$, then $(a,n)=(b,n)$. This can be seen by writing $a=b+nk$, for some integer $k$.

Here, $(a^{n-1},n)=(1,n)=1$.