The lithosphere: a zone refinery?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the process of zone refining is used to purify silicon for semiconductors, 2 billion more years is added for Terran evolution, crystalline matter can be found at any temperature, and the coriolis effect has only minimal effects on lithosphere structure.
Loren Booda
Do planets that undergo a gradual cooling inward of a liquid core in essence perform zone refining, like that used to purify silicon for semiconductors? Starting with a solidifying crust, the crystallization of molten rock selectively freezes out first the materials with both the lowest melting points and least density, pushing elements like tungsten and uranium toward the center. How closely would the geological compositions of the Earth and other terrestrial planets (especially once solidified) bear out this pattern? At what level would you most likely find crystalline matter?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Well, an early hypothesis is to assume that Venus is still in a young phase compared to Earth just after forming. The basic problems with that is that Venus has lost all but traces of it's water and has no mechanism left to burry the carbon in the soil.

If Earth would have started the same way, how would it have prevented the same to happen? So if we forget about Venus, it actually appears that the the compression heat at the surface did not exceed the Venus levels, allowing the water to settle instead of splitting into it's basic components, the hydrogen dissipating into space.

There is also a rock that supports that version:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/01/010111073459.htm

Thanks for the education, Andre. That find seems most revolutionary - 2 billion more years for Terran evolution! At what temperature does water dissociate into hydrogen and oxygen?

Loren Booda said:
Do planets that undergo a gradual cooling inward of a liquid core in essence perform zone refining, like that used to purify silicon for semiconductors? Starting with a solidifying crust, the crystallization of molten rock selectively freezes out first the materials with both the lowest melting points and least density, pushing elements like tungsten and uranium toward the center.

Earth's inner core is actually solidifying from the middle outwards- Pressure makes the inner core solid, despite it being hotter than the liquid outer core, but as temperature falls, the pressure is able to solidify more and more of the inner core.

The stratification of the layers of the Earth was indeed due to sinking of denser minerals during the Earth's fully molten stage (http://csmres.jmu.edu/geollab/Fichter/PlateTect/heathistory.html) and some further stratification still occurs now in that lighter minerals such as quartz rise up due to their lower density as crust melts at subdction zones.

How closely would the geological compositions of the Earth and other terrestrial planets (especially once solidified) bear out this pattern? At what level would you most likely find crystalline matter?

On earth, you would indeed find layering, with a core thoght to consist mostly of iron, followed by a mantle, thought to be made of alkaline material similar to that which is found deep in ocean crust, which is represented at the surface by ophiolites (http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/vw_hyperexchange/ophiolites.html) .
Next comes the crust, which is more of a mixture, consisting of alkaline material directly accreated from the mantle in oceanic plates, and the lower edges of continental plates, through to acidic (granitic) material comprising most of the continents.
As for crystalline material- if Earth were to fully cool, crystaline material would span the crust and the whole mantle, with crystals becoming increasingly coarse towards the middle. The core I'm not too sure about- being slowly cooling liquid, I'd imagine it would form crystals, but I'm not sure. There is some data suggesting the inner core is in fact one large crystal http://www.psc.edu/science/Cohen_Stix/cohen_stix.html

It's hard to apply this to other planets, as we have little to analyse but a very few rocks from some, and aerial imagary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for a great thumbnail explanation, matt. I always thought we were riding on a predominantly liquid center; now it seems we're bound to be a crystal planet. Do you know how close the uranium at our core is to critical mass?

I don't have a clue about the critical mass, sorry.
I should probably clarify- The mantle is thought to be solid, but flowing by plastic deformation. It's quite a commn misconception that it is composed of flowing magma.

?How close to critical mass?" Uranium is a lithophile. The oxide is more soluble in the crustal rocks, than in the iron core. Short answer? There ain't no critical mass, there ain't no chance of a critical mass forming.

How has the coriolis effect influenced the structure of the lithosphere?

The only effect that I can think of is the slight bulging of the Earth at the equator due to centrifugal force. I'd imagine that coriolis force is insignificant compared to the tectonic forces acting on the lithosphere, so effects would be minimal if they exist at all. I wonder if the coriolis force can affect the movements of plastic flow (i.e. the mantle), or whether it is just fluids.

Related to The lithosphere: a zone refinery?

1. What is the lithosphere?

The lithosphere is the rigid outer layer of the Earth that includes the crust and the uppermost part of the mantle. It is composed of solid rock and is divided into tectonic plates that move and interact with each other.

2. How does the lithosphere affect us?

The lithosphere plays a crucial role in shaping the Earth's surface and providing the foundation for life. It influences the distribution of oceans, continents, and mountains, as well as the location of natural resources such as minerals, fossil fuels, and water.

3. What is a zone refinery?

A zone refinery is a hypothetical concept proposed by geologists to describe the process of plate tectonics. It refers to the continuous movement and recycling of rock material from the Earth's surface into the mantle and back again, driven by the movement of tectonic plates.

4. How does the lithosphere change over time?

The lithosphere is constantly changing due to the movement of tectonic plates, which can cause earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and the formation of new landforms. It also undergoes weathering and erosion processes, resulting in the creation and destruction of rocks.

5. Why is the lithosphere important for understanding Earth's history?

The lithosphere holds a record of the Earth's history, as it contains evidence of past geological events and processes. By studying the composition and structure of the lithosphere, scientists can gain insights into the formation and evolution of the Earth over billions of years.