Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] The line separating post from signature

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
The line separating a post from the signature is almost invisible to me. Consider this post by Ackbach.

signature.png

I am reading: "If Mathematica can't solve it exactly, I don't think you're going to be able to solve it exactly. And there never was a time, I believe, when the reading public was so large, or so helplessly exposed..." and thinking, "Well, the sentence structure is getting complicated. And what does the reading public have to do with Mathematica? Ah, it's the signature!"

The line looks about the same in the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome, at least in Ubuntu.

This reminds me an article, I believe, in a Russian book "Physicists are Joking" about writing an unreadable paper. One trick was to include footnotes that look like superscripts. So a person reads, "This reaction consumes $10^{25}$ calories" and thinks to himself, "That's a lot of calories!". Then he reaches the end of the page, sees footnote 25 and says, "Ooh..." (Smile)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I agree this border is too faint, and so I've darkened the border separating post content from signature to match the color of the border on the left of the post content. (Yes)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks. I don't mind the current color, but I would prefer darker still. Frankly, it is sometimes irritating when sites make layout elements and especially fonts light gray, perhaps to look "sophisticated". It causes nothing but inconvenience to people with poor vision. The line on the left is optional since there is no danger of confusing the post content with the user's credentials. Similarly, the line on top separating the post title (date and post number) from the post content is not so important (though to me it seems darker than the line above the signature). In contrast, it is easy to go from the post to the signature, which is likely to cause first confusion and then annoyance.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I darkened the border in question to match the darker border above the post content. How does that look to you, Evgeny?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
The line is quite noticeable now, so it's probably OK.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
The line is quite noticeable now, so it's probably OK.
If we make the border any darker, I think we would need to darken the other borders in the postbit as well, otherwise it would stand out too much. :D