The Lightyear Pole Paradox: Exploring the Limits of Physics

• Thread starter wolf_359
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical situation involving a rigid pole that cannot bend or stretch, and whether pulling on one end would cause the other end to move at the same time. The conversation also touches on the laws of physics and the limitations of using them to determine the properties of a hypothetical object. The thread is ultimately closed due to the lack of interest in discussing the topic.
wolf_359
Here is a question I posed to my Facebook friends this morning while waiting on my ride to work. I thought about the answer to it myself and got a good brain workout from it!

I would like to know your thoughts:

You have a rigid pole that cannot bend or stretch or otherwise deform in any way.
The pole is exactly one light year in length.
You pull on one end of the pole and it moves one meter.
Does the other end move the same distance at the same time? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such pole nor will there ever be. Matter does not work like that. Your disturbance at one end of the pole will travel through the pole at the speed of sound in the pole.

wolf_359 said:
Here is a question I posed to my Facebook friends this morning while waiting on my ride to work. I thought about the answer to it myself and got a good brain workout from it!

I would like to know your thoughts:

You have a rigid pole that cannot bend or stretch or otherwise deform in any way.
The pole is exactly one light year in length.
You pull on one end of the pole and it moves one meter.
Does the other end move the same distance at the same time? Why or why not?

There's an entry in the FAQ at the top of this page: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=536289

Last edited by a moderator:
The existence of the pole is not in question. The properties of such a pole if it were to exist is the question. It is also a subliminal attempt to cause you to think... But if this is too much for you, try an easier problem.

Thanks.

wolf_359 said:
The existence of the pole is not in question. The properties of such a pole if it were to exist is the question. It is also a subliminal attempt to cause you to think... But if this is too much for you, try an easier problem.

Thanks.

If unicorns existed, would their horns be more than a foot long?

wolf_359 said:

Thanks.

I'm sorry, we talk about real physics here, not "what if" questions that break the known laws of the universe.

Drakkith said:
I'm sorry, we talk about real physics here, not "what if" questions that break the known laws of the universe.

Why is that something to be sorry about? I rather like it that way. :smile:

phinds said:
Why is that something to be sorry about? I rather like it that way. :smile:

Oh, you... :rolleyes:

We obviously cannot use the laws of physics to determine the properties of an object that the laws of physics forbids in the first place (ex falso quodlibet). Therefore, anything other than a discussion of why the laws of physics forbid it is speculative.

Since the OP is clearly not interested in such a discussion, this thread is closed.

Last edited:

Related to The Lightyear Pole Paradox: Exploring the Limits of Physics

1. What is "The Lightyear-long Pole"?

"The Lightyear-long Pole" is a hypothetical structure that stretches for one lightyear in length, or about 9.461 trillion kilometers.

2. Is "The Lightyear-long Pole" a real object?

No, "The Lightyear-long Pole" is a concept and has not been physically constructed or observed in reality.

3. What is the purpose of "The Lightyear-long Pole"?

The purpose of "The Lightyear-long Pole" is to demonstrate the vast distances that can be measured using lightyears as a unit of measurement.

4. How would "The Lightyear-long Pole" be constructed?

The construction of "The Lightyear-long Pole" would require advanced technology and materials, such as strong and lightweight materials that can withstand the forces of gravity and tension over such a great distance.

5. Can "The Lightyear-long Pole" be used for space exploration or travel?

No, "The Lightyear-long Pole" is purely a theoretical concept and is not feasible for practical applications in space exploration or travel.