The kinetic energy formula for lagrange doesnt make sense

In summary, The equation for kinetic energy (T) is equal to 1/2 times the mass times the velocity squared. For a pendulum, the kinetic energy is calculated by adding the kinetic energy of the x component and the kinetic energy of the y component, represented by xdot squared and ydot squared. This may seem confusing at first, but it makes sense because the velocity of an object can be broken down into its x and y components and the kinetic energy of those components can be added together. This is like the Pythagorean theorem, where a^2 + b^2 = c^2. So, even though 3 + 4 does not equal 5, 3^2 + 4^2 does
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

This is a real basic question I am sure. Maybe I just missed something.
so in the book, t = the kinetic energy . only for a pendulum, they add kinetic energy of x dot squared, plus kinetic energy of y dot squared.

Homework Equations

T = 1/2 m v^2
a^2 + b^2 = c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This doesn't make sense. At first I thought maybe they were splitting velocity into x and y components.
but T(velocity) is not equal to T(x component of velocity) + T(y component of velocity). if I am traveling in a straight line at 5 m/s, 1/2m(5)^2 is not equal to 1/2m(3)^2 + 1/2m(4)^2. what is the xdot and ydot a measure of

Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
1/2m(5)^2 is not equal to 1/2m(3)^2 + 1/2m(4)^2
Are you a betting man?

Likes grandpa2390
haruspex said:
Are you a betting man?
No I am not. And I get the feeling you are about to tell me that it's a good thing. lol because 3^2 +4^2 does equal 5^2 ... this is what I get for forcing myself out of bed to study... sry for the inconvenience. It made sense earlier when I was awake. Then I take a nap. force myself up, and I am writing a formula that says exactly what I said wasn't making sense. lol.

They only hope I have to hold onto is that my professor says that you aren't a physicist unless you occasionally write something stupid.

edit: I know what i was thinking. the variable itself v being plugged in, and then just replacing it with components added. x and y. 3 + 4 != 5 but i guess that's why v is squared in kinetic energy. so that the kinetic energy of components can be added. you can't say .5m(x+y)^2 but u can say the other

Last edited:

Related to The kinetic energy formula for lagrange doesnt make sense

1. What is the kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation?

The kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation is T = ½mv², where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. Why does the kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation not make sense?

The kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation may not make sense if the object has a variable mass or if the velocity is not constant.

3. How is the kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation derived?

The kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation is derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral.

4. Can the kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation be used for all types of systems?

The kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation can be used for systems with conservative forces, where the total energy is conserved. It may not be applicable for systems with non-conservative forces, such as friction.

5. Are there any limitations to using the kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation?

The kinetic energy formula for Lagrange's equation may not be suitable for systems with complex or non-linear dynamics, as it assumes a simple relationship between kinetic energy and velocity. It is also limited to systems with a single degree of freedom.