Need Help Grade 11 physics question

In summary, Tarzan is running at a velocity of 8.0 m/s and jumps onto a vine. To find how high he will go above the bottom of his swing, we can use the equation 1/2mv^2 = mgh, which simplifies to h=1/2(8)^2/10=3.2 m. It is important to note that his velocity in the Y direction is necessary for this calculation. Once he reaches the peak of his swing, both his X and Y velocities are 0.
LiquidIce
Need Help Grade 11 physics question!

The question is something like this I am not sure exactly because it was on my test.

Tarzan is running at 8.0 m/s and jumps onto a vine. How high above the bottom of his swing will he go ?

Plz help i have no clue how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
1/2mv^2 = mgh
1/2v^2 = gh
h=1/2(8)^2/10=3.2 m

You must know his velocity in the Y direction or up. If you were given and angle, then it can be broken down.

If he only has a velocity of 8 m/s in the X direction, then he will not leave the ground.

Nautica

thanks a lot i figured it out i got the same answer as u 3.2 i think i need to find the velocity so do i just double the 3.2 and make it 6.4?

meister hit the nail on the head.
What do you mean find the velocity? When he starts off, his X velocity is 8 and his Y is 0; at the peak of his swing, both x and y are 0.

I see now, I was reading it as how far up he would jump onto the swing?

Nautica

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in physics?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is going and in which direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing over time.

2. How do I calculate the force needed to move an object?

The force needed to move an object can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). Therefore, to move an object, you would need to apply a force that is greater than or equal to its mass multiplied by the desired acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another. This means that work and energy are directly proportional to each other. The more work is done on an object, the more energy it will gain.

4. How does the principle of conservation of energy apply to physics?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In physics, this means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will remain constant. This principle is often used in solving physics problems involving energy calculations.

5. Can you explain the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts on an object while it is in motion. In simpler terms, static friction keeps an object at rest, while kinetic friction slows down a moving object.