Mystery of Type 1a Supernova: No Hydrogen in Spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the mystery surrounding the lack of hydrogen in a Type 1a Supernova's spectrum despite the belief that the first stars were composed of only hydrogen and helium. It is suggested that this is because, in the early universe, there were no Type 1a supernovae as they take time to evolve from solar mass stars. The conversation also delves into the details of how a white dwarf becomes unstable and triggers a Type 1a supernova, with additional information shared about the specific conditions and chemical makeup required for a white dwarf to become a type 1a supernova.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is something that mystifies me --
If the first stars were composed of only hydrogen and helium, why does a Type 1a Supernova show virtually no hydrogen in its spectrum? It seems logical that we would see an abundance of hydrogen.
Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Type 1a supernovae are thought to be white dwarf stars. A white dwarf is what's left of a star once the hydrogen in its core has been burned, and the remaining hydrogen expelled into interstellar space, as part of the last phase of hydrogen burning (several mechanisms).

This suggests that there was a time in the early universe when there were no Type 1a supernovae - ~solar mass stars take some time to evolve into white dwarfs, and more massive stars don't end their lives as white dwarfs!

Oh, ok, that makes sense now. The hydrogen has already been depleted. Thanks!

Originally posted by Math Is Hard
Oh, ok, that makes sense now. The hydrogen has already been depleted. Thanks!

You and Nereid didnt get to the good part yet.
So there is this white dwarf, composed say of carbon and nitrogen, and no longer fusing because it does have mass enough to create the core conditions to fuse carbon

So it is just sitting there gradually cooling, which is all that an isolated white dwarf can do. What makes it suddenly explode into a Type Ia supernova?

hmmm... well, I only know a tiny bit about this, but I am told that white dwarves have a mass limit, and that once they reach this limit they become unstable and undergo a gravitational collapse. But I am not sure how a white dwarf gets to that limit and what exactly is causing the mass increase.
Do tell!

Originally posted by Math Is Hard
hmmm... well, I only know a tiny bit about this, but I am told that white dwarves have a mass limit, and that once they reach this limit they become unstable and undergo a gravitational collapse. But I am not sure how a white dwarf gets to that limit and what exactly is causing the mass increase.

Type Ia supernovae are produced when a white dwarf sucks matter off of a red giant companion, reinitiating fusion. The entire white dwarf is literally blown to bits -- there is no compact object (neutron star or black hole) left over, like there can be in Type I or II supernovae.

A link:

http://www.astronomyinfo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supernova.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Type Ia supernovae are produced when a white dwarf sucks matter off of a red giant companion, reinitiating fusion. The entire white dwarf is literally blown to bits -- there is no compact object (neutron star or black hole) left over, like there can be in Type I or II supernovae.

Sucking off matter from a red giant is correct. However, I believe the rest of your picture is somewhat misleading. The mass increase eventually (fusion is irrelevant) will reach the point where it cannot remain a white dwarf, and collapses into a neutron star. This triggers the type Ia explosion.

Originally posted by mathman
The mass increase eventually (fusion is irrelevant) will reach the point where it cannot remain a white dwarf, and collapses into a neutron star. This triggers the type Ia explosion.

My understanding is that you're describing a type-I supernova (not a type-Ia). From what I recall, type-Ia supernovae do not undergo core collapse; they are blown apart by thermonuclear fusion before that happens. See the link I posted before, and also this one:

http://www.fofweb.com/Subscription/Science/Helicon.asp?SID=2&iPin=ffdastron3182

Originally posted by Ambitwistor

A link:

http://www.astronomyinfo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supernova.htm

I think you mean in a Type II SN. NO Type I leaves anything behind as the Core is converted into energy. In a Type II (Core rebound) there is always at least something left.

Type Ib supernova can let a white dwarf after the explossion (that can develop to a neutron star or black hole)

Originally posted by theEVIL1
I think you mean in a Type II SN. NO Type I leaves anything behind as the Core is converted into energy.

Thanks. I was hedging: I thought I remembered reading that some type I (not Ia) supernovae could undergo gravitational collapse (do you know if this is true?), so I thought there might be something left over.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
Thanks. I was hedging: I thought I remembered reading that some type I (not Ia) supernovae could undergo gravitational collapse (do you know if this is true?), so I thought there might be something left over.
They all undergo gravitational collapse; this is where the "initiating" energy comes from.

But, in the case of a Type Ia supernova, a very small percentage of accreting white dwarfs will become type Ia's. The "chemical conditions" of the Dwarf are specific and rather rare. The Dwarf must be composed mainly of Carbon and Oxygen (sometimes Si). Also, the mass limit for the supernova is ~1.38 - 1.39 Solar masses, not the "standard" 1.44 Chandra's limit. The Carbon is the catalyst, and it must detonate or burn (deflagration) at a specific rate to cause the energies required for the total fusion of all material into the heavier elements, leaving no core remnant at all.

This was discussed at length (I think) in an older thread several months ago. S. E. Woosley is considered the foremost "expert" on Type Ia supernova since he has spent his entire career on the subject, and there are still uncertainties about which carbon "detonation-deflagration" models are most likely. Quite a bit about these can be found at:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/journal/issues/ApJ/v475n2/33428/33428.html

Click on "Introduction" first.

Labguy

By "gravitational collapse", I meant into a neutron core.

For anyone interested, there is a relatively new book out which has a bit of discussion about type 1A Supernova. The book is, "Alpha and Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe"
by Charles Seife

-Glenn

1. What is a type 1a supernova?

A type 1a supernova is a type of stellar explosion that occurs in a binary star system where one star is a white dwarf. The white dwarf accretes mass from its companion star until it reaches a critical mass, causing a runaway nuclear fusion reaction and resulting in a bright explosion.

2. Why is the absence of hydrogen in the spectrum of a type 1a supernova significant?

The absence of hydrogen in the spectrum of a type 1a supernova is significant because it indicates that the progenitor star was a white dwarf, as opposed to a massive star. Massive stars, which are responsible for other types of supernovae, contain hydrogen in their outer layers, while white dwarfs do not have any hydrogen left after their formation.

3. How do scientists determine the composition of a type 1a supernova?

Scientists use spectroscopy to determine the composition of a type 1a supernova. They analyze the light emitted from the explosion and look for specific absorption lines that correspond to different elements. The absence of hydrogen in the spectrum indicates a lack of hydrogen in the explosion, confirming the white dwarf origin.

4. What are some possible explanations for the absence of hydrogen in type 1a supernova spectra?

One possible explanation is that the white dwarf had already lost its outer layers of hydrogen through stellar winds before the explosion occurred. Another explanation is that the white dwarf may have accreted material from its companion star that had already lost its hydrogen, or that the explosion was too violent and destroyed any remaining hydrogen.

5. How does the absence of hydrogen in type 1a supernova spectra impact our understanding of the universe?

The absence of hydrogen in type 1a supernova spectra provides evidence for the theory that these explosions are caused by white dwarfs in binary systems. This helps astronomers better understand the life cycle of stars and the processes that lead to supernovae. Additionally, type 1a supernovae have been used as standard candles to measure the expansion of the universe, so understanding their composition is crucial for accurate cosmological models.