The invisible lever in Archimedes’s gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a lever between two weights in free space. The law of the lever is explained, which states that the ratio of force and distance on one side of the lever is equal to the ratio of mass on the other side. This is a simplified form of Archimedes's gravity, which has a more complex formula involving force-mass ratio and distance. The conversation also mentions that the center point of the lever remains the same even if the weights approach zero, resulting in a double levels configuration.
deda
Say we have one weight floating in free space - vacuum and another weight in the same space on total distance D from the first. I’ll tell you the answer but any way my question for you is: “Is there a lever between the weights”? My answer is yes. Here is how I know it. First I have to find the center point of the invisible lever. I’ll make: P1 = (p1, 0, 0) the position of the first weight; P2 = (p2, 0, 0) the position of the second weight; M1 = (0, m1, 0) the mass of the first weight; M2 = (0, m2, 0) the mass of the second weight. I’ll place M1 with the beginning in the end of P2 and M2 with the beginning in the end of P1. Now I’ll draw the line passing thru the end of M1 and the end of M2. The intersection of that line with the line passing thru the P1 and P2 is the center point of the invisible lever. The distance from the center to P1 is D1. The distance from the center to P2 is D2. The law of the lever is:
[tex]\frac{F_1}{F_2} = \frac{D_2}{D_1} = \frac{M_1}{M_2}[/tex]
It’s because for every mass M in the lever there is equally proportional force F. The law of the lever is the simplest form of the Archimedes’s gravity.
The more complex form is as follows:
[tex] \frac{F_1}{D_2} = \frac {F_2}{D_1} = \sqrt{G^2 \frac{M_1}{D_1}\frac{M_2}{D_2}}[/tex]
Here G is the force - mass ratio in the system and also
[tex]G = \frac{F_1 + F_2}{M_1 + M_2}[/tex]
If I make M1 = (m1, 0, 0) and M2 = (m2, 0, 0) the center point will still be the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the limit as the weight approaches zero and the same with the other weight, a double levels configuration is form.

Related to The invisible lever in Archimedes’s gravity

1. What is the invisible lever in Archimedes's gravity?

The invisible lever in Archimedes's gravity is a hypothetical concept proposed by the ancient Greek scientist, Archimedes, to explain the principles of buoyancy. It suggests that an object submerged in a fluid experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

2. How does the invisible lever work?

The invisible lever works by utilizing the principle of buoyancy, which states that the upward force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This force is generated by the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object, causing it to float or sink.

3. Is the invisible lever a real physical object?

No, the invisible lever is not a real physical object. It is a conceptual tool used to explain the principles of buoyancy and is based on the assumption that the fluid exerts an upward force on the object equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.

4. What are some real-life applications of the invisible lever?

The invisible lever has many practical applications, including in shipbuilding, where it is used to determine the optimal shape and size of a ship to ensure its buoyancy and stability. It is also used in designing submarines, hot air balloons, and other objects that rely on buoyancy for their function.

5. How did Archimedes come up with the concept of the invisible lever?

Archimedes is credited with discovering the principle of buoyancy and the invisible lever through his experiments and observations involving floating objects. According to legend, he made this discovery while taking a bath and noticed that the water level rose as he got into the tub, leading him to shout "Eureka!" and run through the streets naked to share his revelation.