The Increasing Disorder: Exploring the Limits of Entropy in the Universe

In summary: There is no maximum amount of disorder, as long as it is increasing over time. I'm not sure what you're asking.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
In a shrinking universe heat will increase, but also volume available to place particles will decrease. What happens to entropy when the volume gets very small and the temperature is very high?

Science news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
Summary:: Does entropy always increase even in a contracting universe?

In a shrinking universe heat will increase, but also volume available to place particles will decrease. What happens to entropy when the volume gets very small and the temperature is very high?
Dodging the question...

If you were to find that entropy is decreasing in this situation then you will find that time's arrow runs toward larger volumes and decreasing heat. So entropy still increases over time.

Thank you

Can entropy decrease on the quantum level? I have read that at the microscopic level there is no time, time only arises at the macrolevel.

I have read that our universe started with a very low entropy. Is it known why the entropy was low?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Where have you read this nonsense? Time and space are the very starting point of any physics. There's no way to formulate physics without space and time, no matter whether you look at the fundamental "microscopic" laws (quantum theory) or the effective "classical" laws of macroscopic matter.

I did not write that space does not exist.

I have read in "Reality is not what it seems" a book by renowned physicist Carlo Rovelli that time does not exist at the quantum level. In the same book, it is stated that space is granular, that is, quanta of space. "Reality are covariant quantum fields. From the book, these fields do not live in space time, they live, so to speak, one on top of the other: fields on fields. Space and time that we perceive in large scale are our blurred and approximate image of one of these quantum fields: the gravitational field."

Personally, I like classical physics much better. I like calculus and Newton's, Gauss', Faraday's and Maxwell's Laws. All need space and time.

This is written from the point of view of "loop quantum gravity" I guess, and it's one attempt at the solution of the one big unsolved puzzle of physics, i.e., how to describe the gravitational interaction within the concept of quantum theory. It's unsolved though and thus, in my opinion, completely premature to write popular-science books about it.

The established theories of physics, including quantum theory and also relativistic quantum field theory (the standard model of elementary particle physics, describing all known matter and fields except gravity) work with a classical spacetime model (either Galilei-Newton spacetime for non-relativistic or Einstein-Minkowski spacetime for special-relativistic physics; or the description of these known constituents in a given classical general-relativistic spacetime for simple cases of such a spacetime like (anti-)deSitter spacetime).

Also unfortunately Nature doesn't ask which kind of physics we humans like more. She just behaves as she does, but the good thing is that all the math you use in classical physics also applies to quantum physics too!

KurtLudwig said:
Summary:: Does entropy always increase even in a contracting universe?

I assume you know that entropy can decrease locally , as long as it increases over all in any isolated system. i mention this , because you bring up "entropy at the quantum level". what exactly are you asking?

On the microscopic level (quantum level), ions aggregate to form crystals. A crystal is more ordered than ions in a solution. Is that negative entropy?
Life itself, due to bio-chemical instructions from DNA, seems to me to be a process that reverses entropy on a local scale. I have read that overall, taking all life support processes into account, entropy (disorder or unknown information about a system) still increases.
I accept the judgement of physicists that overall entropy increases, but there seem to be short term local
exceptions.
Is there a maximum amount of disorder? What drives this increasing disorder?

Related to The Increasing Disorder: Exploring the Limits of Entropy in the Universe

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a concept in thermodynamics that describes the tendency of a system to move towards a state of maximum disorder.

2. Does entropy always increase?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness of a system will always tend to increase, unless energy is added to the system.

3. Can entropy decrease?

In some cases, it is possible for the entropy of a system to decrease. However, this can only happen if energy is added to the system, such as in a refrigerator. In this case, the decrease in entropy of the refrigerated space is offset by an increase in entropy in the surrounding environment.

4. What factors affect the change in entropy?

The change in entropy of a system is affected by the amount of energy added or removed, the temperature, and the number of particles in the system. Generally, the higher the temperature and the more particles in a system, the greater the change in entropy will be.

5. Is entropy related to the concept of disorder?

Yes, entropy is closely related to the concept of disorder. In a system with high entropy, there is a high degree of disorder or randomness, while a system with low entropy is more ordered and structured. This is why entropy is often referred to as a measure of disorder.