The holy trinity of the existential sciences:astrophysics, evolution, and neuro

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation explores the intersection of different fields of science and their relevance to existential questions and values. The speaker expresses their interest in neuroscience, evolution, and astrophysics and wonders if there are others who share this interest, particularly among professors. However, they have found it difficult to find like-minded individuals even in related fields such as quantum mechanics and astrophysics. The speaker hopes to pursue a career where they can combine their passion for science and philosophy.
Simfish
Gold Member
So I've just read through http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/science-with-soul-sells/ and I found it *extremely* inspiring. Namely, this quote in particular:

Neuroscience, evolution, and astrophysics speak to normative concerns of our species. That is, they grapple with values. The brain is the seat of our self in a material sense, and neuroscience emerges out of a deep tradition of philosophy of mind which goes back 2,500 years. Evolution has had a fraught relationship with teleology, and some philosophers of biology have quipped that their field to a first approximation can be reduced to philosophy of evolution. Molecular biology is more fundamental in a concrete proximate sense, but evolutionary biology is more fundamental in the ultimate abstract sense. And finally, astrophysics when it bleeds into cosmology rather obviously treads on the ground which was once the domain of mythology, of cosmogony. In a very broad sense these disciplines push against our conceptions of ontology. Astrophysics in the most general sense, neuroscience in a very anthropocentric sense, and evolutionary biology spanning the two extremes.

And so, I've thought - is there a significant number of people who are interested in these three subjects in particular? http://www.reddit.com/r/PhilosophyofScience/comments/diael/survey_analysis_interests_map/ doesn't seem to say so (although astro is connected to neuro). Especially professors who might like students more if they have these interests? (which might be mergeable in astrobiology now). I've talked to a few astrophysics professors, but none of them seem to have the passion for existential questions that I have (that draw me precisely to those three subjects in particular - e.g. few seem to also be interested in neuroscience). Although some professors from other departments have this interest in existential questions, and go into complex adaptive systems for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found out that it's hard to find people like us (blue-skies kinda guys) even in such [seemingly] blue-skiesy work like quantum mechanics and astrophysics. Personally, I'm disappointed a lot by this because I hope to get into a line of work where I can be that scientific 'philosopher', as the article says.

Related to The holy trinity of the existential sciences:astrophysics, evolution, and neuro

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and processes of objects and phenomena in the universe, such as stars, galaxies, and planets.

2. How does evolution work?

Evolution is the process by which living organisms change and adapt over time through the mechanism of natural selection. This process occurs through genetic variations and mutations, which are then passed down to future generations.

3. What is the importance of studying neurology?

Neurology is the study of the nervous system and its disorders. It is important because the nervous system controls all functions of the body and understanding it can lead to advancements in treating neurological diseases and disorders.

4. What are some current research topics in astrophysics?

Some current research topics in astrophysics include studying dark matter and dark energy, understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies, and searching for habitable exoplanets outside of our solar system.

5. How do scientists study the brain?

Scientists study the brain through various methods such as brain imaging techniques, studying brain tissue samples, and conducting experiments on animals. They also use computational models and simulations to better understand the complex functions of the brain.