The Greenhouse Effect vs. Blackbodies vs. Global Warming?

In summary, this conversation discusses why the Earth isn't a blackbody, how gases like CO2 really play a role, how atmosphere affects the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, and the differences between the Earth's temperature and that of the moon. The experts state that the understanding of the issue is still in development, and that a debate over the existence of global warming exists but is still unresolved.
SeventhSigma
Can anyone explain what the right approach to this stuff is? It's an area I am largely ignorant about.

According to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, the Earth should be -18C. Obviously, this isn't true because the Earth isn't a blackbody. But my questions:

1. Why isn't the Earth technically a blackbody?
2. Do gases like CO2 really play a role?
3. How does atmosphere factor into all this?
4. Is there a difference between greenhouse effect and global warming?
5. What about the moon -- which has no atmosphere? How do we account for the differences we see in the Law vs. what we observe?
6. Do we really see a global warming problem on our hands or is it just fearmongering?
7. What technically explains the temperatures we see?
8. Is it correct to say the Earth is a great absorber but poor emitter?

I feel like this is a lot like the evolution "debate" where people have a lot of misconceptions (it's absolutely true and we don't need a God to explain it, same goes for abiogenesis models). I'd like to be on the correct side of understanding the greenhouse effect, too. I know it's a misnomer, but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that PF does not have the resources for (potential) global-warming discussions, and the policy is to not allow them.

Why aren't they allowed? Is the understanding of the issue not very fleshed out yet? Is it still debatable? I thought it was akin to the evolution debate where there really IS a "right answer" but people just skew the facts and understanding.

SeventhSigma said:
Why aren't they allowed? Is the understanding of the issue not very fleshed out yet? Is it still debatable?

Someone else will have a definitive answer shortly, I'm sure.

If I'm correct, it's because the discussions get fleshed out way past the ability or patience of the experts to deal with. I've seen these debates elsewhere and they always turn into a mess.

Argh! Why is it so impossible to find definitive answers on this subject without sifting through a bunch of crackpottery and garbage? Can anyone direct me to good resources, then, before this thread is locked?

SeventhSigma said:
Argh! Why is it so impossible to find definitive answers on this subject without sifting through a bunch of crackpottery and garbage? Can anyone direct me to good resources, then, before this thread is locked?

I cannot. E-mail someone here with some credentials and perhaps they can direct you.

Locked. Please take a look at the PF Rules, everyone.

1. What is the difference between the greenhouse effect and blackbodies?

The greenhouse effect is a natural process where certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, trap heat and warm the planet. This is necessary for life on Earth. Blackbodies, on the other hand, are theoretical objects that absorb and emit all radiation that falls on them, without reflecting any. In the context of global warming, blackbodies are used to represent the Earth's surface.

2. How do the greenhouse effect and blackbodies contribute to global warming?

The greenhouse effect and blackbodies both play a role in global warming. The increasing levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, are enhancing the natural greenhouse effect and causing the Earth's temperature to rise. Blackbodies, as a representation of the Earth's surface, also absorb and emit radiation, contributing to the warming of the planet.

3. Is global warming caused solely by the greenhouse effect and blackbodies?

No, global warming is caused by a combination of natural and human factors. While the greenhouse effect and blackbodies contribute to the warming of the planet, other factors such as deforestation, industrial processes, and transportation also play a significant role in increasing greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere.

4. How does global warming impact the Earth's climate?

Global warming can lead to changes in the Earth's climate, such as rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, and changes in weather patterns. These changes can have negative effects on ecosystems, agriculture, and human health.

5. Can we reverse the effects of global warming?

While it is not possible to completely reverse the effects of global warming, we can take actions to slow down and mitigate its impacts. This includes reducing emissions of greenhouse gases, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable practices in agriculture and other industries. It is important for individuals, governments, and businesses to work together to address the issue of global warming and its effects on our planet.