The greatest discovery in physics for the past two years

In summary: I read it very carefully. I just don't agree with all of the choices made. In summary, the greatest discovery in physics in the last two years is the discovery of the Higgs boson.
Pual Black
Hello everyone
What do you think is the greatest discovery in physics in the last two years?
I think Higgs boson is the greatest one, isn't it?
It was discovered by peter Higgs and François Englert and they were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bit too early to say, but the odds are good.

By the way, Higgs&co predicted this boson -- long time ago. Not the same as discovering it.

Pual Black said:
What do you think is the greatest discovery in physics in the last two years?
For me it was the discovery of this site :smile:

Likes Pual Black, collinsmark and dlgoff
Cheat ! phinds

Likes Imager
BvU said:
By the way, Higgs&co predicted this boson -- long time ago. Not the same as discovering it.

Yeah, personally I think the "discovery" of the Higgs boson was anticlimactic. Even though I support he LHC efforts and am enthused to see what comes next, I saw the whole tear-jerking episode of the confirmation of the discovery of the Higgs boson boring, in fact, pathetic. The finding of the Higgs boson was a self-fulfilling prophesy dating back to the 60's and to this date I can't see where the several billions of dollars invested in the program is going to pay off for the local consumer, such as myself. They played it up hype real well, but I don't anyone in the physics community really doubted that this particle that decays in less than a nanosecond would be found. As far as I'm concerned, we've been scammed as consumers on this endeavor, that is, unless the LHC discovers supersymmetry particles, in which case I'll recant my criticism.I want the the discovery of the Higgs boson to reduce the price of my top ramen at the local store from 25 cents to 20 cents, is that too much to ask?

BvU said:
Cheat ! phinds
A little white lie to compliment the site :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
BvU said:
Bit too early to say, but the odds are good.

Yes you're right but the nobel prize was two years ago awarded.
What is your opinion of the greatest discovery in this 2 years because 2014 there are many new great discoveries according to this HomePage
http://www.businessinsider.com/top-11-physics-discoveries-of-2014-2015-1?op=1

DiracPool said:
Yeah, personally I think the "discovery" of the Higgs boson was anticlimactic. Even though I support he LHC efforts and am enthused to see what comes next, I saw the whole tear-jerking episode of the confirmation of the discovery of the Higgs boson boring, in fact, pathetic. The finding of the Higgs boson was a self-fulfilling prophesy dating back to the 60's and to this date I can't see where the several billions of dollars invested in the program is going to pay off for the local consumer, such as myself. They played it up hype real well, but I don't anyone in the physics community really doubted that this particle that decays in less than a nanosecond would be found. As far as I'm concerned, we've been scammed as consumers on this endeavor, that is, unless the LHC discovers supersymmetry particles, in which case I'll recant my criticism.I want the the discovery of the Higgs boson to reduce the price of my top ramen at the local store from 25 cents to 20 cents, is that too much to ask?
I understand the 'anticlimactic'. Unfortunately further 'discoveries' of this type require bigger and bigger investments, so it will be ever more difficult to satisfy genuine curiosity. Instead, huge resources have to be allocated for 'programmed' discoveries and all we can do is hope something unexpected pops up as well.

I don't understand the consumerism. In later times the twentieth century will be the one of two world wars plus the emergence of the standard model. Early 21st brought the completion forward with the (expected) discovery of the Higgs. So far -- hence my "bit twirly" in reply to Pual.

As you say, it's personal. I, for one, have no great hope for SUSY and strings to guide us toward the next programmed discovery, but I will be very happy to be proven utterly wrong. And I have high hopes for humanity if they can unite and mobilize forces for this kind of progress instead of countries funding yet another aircaft carrier of their own, purely out of self-interest.

--

Likes Silicon Waffle
phinds said:
It's not clear that you actually read that very carefully. Of the 11 items listed, 7 were clearly just technological advances, not discoveries at all, 3 were discoveries, and 1 was a possible discovery.
Actually i read the article but supposed that technological advance is a kind of discovery since they must have discovered something to improve their technology. Maybe I am wrong but this is my opinion.
Anyway I am sure the Higgs boson will give some great application because it decays to fermions and fermions are the particles which make up matter.

I'm sure the Higgs boson will give some great application because it decays to fermions and fermions are the particles which make up matter
Beg to differ. Pure science, this is. Improving our understanding of the universe we live in.

It's not as if we can build a 'Higgs factory' and then enjoy some kind of benefit.

Pual Black said:
Actually i read the article but supposed that technological advance is a kind of discovery ...
I disagree, but would simply suggest that you be more careful in how you use standard terminology. The implication of your original use of "discovery" suggests more than just technological advances. Sure, there were undoubtedly "discoveries" made in technological processes to bring about the improvements but that's not really what people on this forum are likely to mean by the word discovery.

Likes Pual Black
phinds said:
It's not clear that you actually read that very carefully. Of the 11 items listed, 7 were clearly just technological advances, not discoveries at all, 3 were discoveries, and 1 was a possible discovery.
How do you make that distinction? The definition is not restricted to high energy physics. Seems to me the determination of any method, process, or phenomenon which was previously unknown qualifies. What's left is the significance of the of discovery.

phinds said:
... not really what people on this forum are likely to mean by the word discovery.
Not this people.

mheslep said:
How do you make that distinction? The definition is not restricted to high energy physics. Seems to me the determination of any method, process, or phenomenon which was previously unknown qualifies. What's left is the significance of the of discovery.
Sure, but the original question seemed strongly to imply "significant discovery", which is my point.

what's the hard evidence that Higgs Boson actually exists?

when I saw the announcement online, it makes me think that they thought they discovered the particle, and the people present didn't appear to be very sure and enthusiastic about it.

arabianights said:
what's the hard evidence that Higgs Boson actually exists?

when I saw the announcement online, it makes me think that they thought they discovered the particle, and the people present didn't appear to be very sure and enthusiastic about it.

It's 5 sigma baby :oldtongue:

Astrophysics rather than than broader field, but anyway ...
The 'Curiosity' Mars explorer achieved one of it's major objectives more or less straight away.
Clear evidence of running water in Mars' past, and water that life could comfortably survive in.
It was partly luck that the landing site was so close to the discovered stream bed, it could easily have been several km away and maybe not found at all.
but still, I thought that was impressive nevertheless.

rootone said:
The 'Curiosity' Mars explorer achieved one of it's major objectives more or less straight away.
Clear evidence of running water in Mars' past, and water that life could comfortably survive in.
It was partly luck that the landing site was so close to the discovered stream bed, it could easily have been several km away and maybe not found at all.
but still, impressive nevertheless.

I remember how they hyped up the curiosity rover, what do they call it, the Mars science laboratory or something like that? So it landed safely and has been "roving" for close to a year now? However, I don't see it making any big headlines, and that's what the hope for it was, right? It had all these fancy new experimental apparati and stuff? It was the size of an SUV, like that was supposed to impress us? What's the new science we've learned from it?

BTW, I thought the major evidence for running water on Mars was discovered by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter , not Curiosity.

'Mars Science Laboratory' always was the official name of the mission, it's more comfy name 'Curiosity' resulted from the winning entry of a NASA public outreach effort.
The near certain discovery of an ancient streambed did end speculation over the subject of liquid water on the surface of Mars in the past, and that was actually one of the primary objectives.
At present liquid water is not possible on Mars, there is a fair bit of ice at the poles, possibly underground elsewhere + traces of vapour in the atmosphere, but liquid water cannot exist since the atmosphere (today) is too thin.
The other primary objectives require the rover to get to the base of mount sharp from where it is then planned to ascend as far as possible.
The mountain has distinct layering and examination of the layers could reveal a lot more about the geological history of the planet.

rootone said:
'Mars Science Laboratory' always was the official name of the mission, it's more comfy name 'Curiosity' resulted from the winning entry of a NASA public outreach effort.
The near certain discovery of an ancient streambed did end speculation over the subject of liquid water on the surface of Mars in the past, and that was actually one of the primary objectives.
The other primary objectives require the rover to get to the base of mount sharp from where it is then planned to ascend as far as possible.
The mountain has distinct layering and examination of the layers could reveal a lot about the geological history of the planet.

Well, let's hope it produces some valuable science. Personally, I'm tired of all these rovers that cost a lot of money and don't seem to produce much. I think we need to get human field geologists and biologists on the planet as soon as possible.

Sure the discovery of the Higg's Boson is a great technological accomplishment and a key validation of a particular theory but where is it leading us. By greatest shouldn't we be thinking of the discovery that will have had the most profoundly affect on Physics or its advancement. Aren't there any other "discoveries" that will significantly extend the bounds of our knowledge or open a new avenue of investigation?

Nope.

1. What is the greatest discovery in physics for the past two years?

The greatest discovery in physics for the past two years is the detection of gravitational waves, which was first announced in 2016.

2. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

3. How were gravitational waves detected?

The gravitational waves were detected using the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in the United States. This observatory consists of two detectors located in different parts of the country, which work together to detect and measure the waves.

4. Why is this discovery significant?

This discovery is significant because it confirms a key prediction of Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and opens up a whole new field of astronomy. It also provides a new way for scientists to study and understand the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of this discovery?

This discovery has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe, as well as lead to new technologies and advancements in physics. It could also help us learn more about the origins of the universe and the nature of gravity itself.