The Gravitational Force and the distance from the earth

In summary, the question asks to find the altitudes above the Earth's surface where the gravitational field strength would be two-thirds and one-third of its value at the surface. The hint suggests finding the radius for each situation and then using the formula F=Gm1m2/r^2 to solve for the distance. The goal is to express the ratio of two forces, F1 and F0, to find the desired altitudes.
Kaze105

Homework Statement

Find the altitudes above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be (a) two-thirds and (b) one-third of its value at the surface. [Hint: First find the radius for each situation; then recall that the altitude is the distance from the surface to a point above the surface.]

Homework Equations

I do believe i use F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, actually I am at a little loss for this question..

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaze105 said:

Homework Statement

Find the altitudes above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be (a) two-thirds and (b) one-third of its value at the surface. [Hint: First find the radius for each situation; then recall that the altitude is the distance from the surface to a point above the surface.]

Homework Equations

I do believe i use F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, actually I am at a little loss for this question..

The hint tells it all.

Set 1 equation = F, another to 2/3 F another to 1/3 F.

Solve by dividing one equation by another.

That's the right equation.

Let's say at the surface we have

Fo=G m1 m2/ro^2

and we want to find the distance r1 where the force F1 is

[tex]
\frac{F1}{Fo} = \mbox{?} = 2/3
[/tex]

p.s.
Welcome to Physics Forums!

problem is that, it doenst give me the distance for the altitude...

Yes, that distance is what we are trying to figure out.

As you said, F=Gm1m2/r^2 . Can you use that equation to express the ratio of two forces,

F1 / F0

where F1 is the force at distance r1, and F0 is the force at distance r0?

Related to The Gravitational Force and the distance from the earth

1. What is the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another.

2. How is the gravitational force calculated?

The gravitational force is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Does the distance from the earth affect the gravitational force?

Yes, the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

4. What is the relationship between the distance from the earth and the gravitational force?

The relationship between the distance from the earth and the gravitational force is inverse. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. How does the gravitational force affect objects on the earth's surface?

The gravitational force affects objects on the earth's surface by keeping them grounded and causing them to fall towards the center of the earth. It also determines the weight of objects on earth as it is directly proportional to their mass.