The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: I've been wearing it to work for a couple of months now with no hassles.Yep.There IS the Fleming Left Hand Rule, so that is correct as well.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

IMG_3169.JPG

Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).

You could hear crickets after I explained that, and then followed by "oooohhh..." before they walked away shaking their heads.

Which meant that I just HAD to buy the shirt!

I wonder how many of the planetarium guests had the same puzzled look when they saw the shirt. Maybe that's why the shirt was on SALE! :)

Zz.

Likes pinball1970, jbriggs444, DennisN and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ said:
Which meant that I just HAD to buy the shirt!
Yep.

ZapperZ said:
You could hear crickets after I explained that, and then followed by "oooohhh..." before they walked away shaking their heads.
LOL. At least you tried!

I saw this t-shirt in my FaceBook feed yesterday, and got a good laugh out of it. At least EEs and Physicists can appreciate it... :smile:

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1...eiF7WtlHKcqHN4l2EjxoCtdUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Haha
Likes jbriggs444, DennisN, russ_watters and 7 others
ZapperZ said:
I tend to buy at least 1 geeky t-shirt a year, just for the heck of it. I can't not buy this one when I saw it last week at the Chicago's Adler Planetarium during their Members Night.

View attachment 243290

Most of the people I was with didn't get it. I mean, they knew that it has to be "Force", but they couldn't make the connection. So of course I had to explain to them that mv = p, and that the most general form of Newton's Second Law (F=ma) is F = dp/dt, which is F = d/dt (mv).

And they used the vector expression, which somehow makes it even geekier.

Likes jack action and berkeman
Here's a wacky (and yes - appallingly precocious!) T-shirt idea I thought of and my sister-in-law actually designed. It goes with the Insights article I wrote on the Balmer Alpha line. The pots at the top are the family's unflattering opinion of me!

T-shirt Design.jpg

Where is the model showing off the 1963 shirt now? Probably close to 77 years old...

And what is a "'snow' gift"?

gmax137 said:
"'snow' gift"?
"Snow," transitive slang verb; to "blitz," as in "snow under" with erudition.

• Skeptical
Likes gmax137
https://www.cafepress.com/+bobs_school_of_quantum_mechanics_bbq_apron,64349543
1579649857267.png

1579649841701.png

When I was a summer student at Fermilab, I found this "ad" for "Bob's School of Quantum Mechanics" (i think it's originally from the "Purdue Engineering Magazine")... i think it was on someone's wall. So, I photocopied it... then later scanned it and digitally touched up what I could. I made a copy available on my university website when I was in grad school. I see it has made the rounds... and is now in someone's CafePress store.
(Someone must have a higher quality copy... maybe someone at Purdue can look though old issues of the magazine.)

I just bought 2 more geeky t-shirts.

I'm going to wear this tomorrow since we will be doing Ohm's law.
IMG_3656.JPG

And then, in a few weeks, when we will do magnetic induction and force on currents, I'll be wearing this!
IMG_3658.JPG

See all the things we instructors do for our students?

:biggrin::smile:

Zz.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, gmax137 and BillTre
I don't think I've ever seen that second, "gang sign" shirt. That's really good!

EDIT: I looked for them on line. Quite a few of the offerings are done with a left hand :headbang: o:)

gmax137 said:
I don't think I've ever seen that second, "gang sign" shirt. That's really good!

EDIT: I looked for them on line. Quite a few of the offerings are done with a left hand :headbang: o:)

There IS the Fleming Left Hand Rule, so that is correct as well.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm going to wear this tomorrow since we will be doing Ohm's law.
I have a blue T-shirt with that message text, but no big Omega symbol. I got weird enough looks the first time I wore it to work that I decided not to do that anymore. It's now a workout shirt...

(The engineers who saw it at work smiled or smirked, but all the support folks were a bit intimidated by it, not understanding the humor...) o0)

Someone should print ## 2.5\, k\Omega## on a t-shirt or 2 500 Ω

1. What makes "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" different from other t-shirts?

"The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" is different from other t-shirts because it features a unique and clever design that incorporates popular geek culture references. It also uses high-quality materials and printing techniques to ensure durability and vibrant colors.

2. Is "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" only for scientists or can anyone wear it?

"The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" can be worn by anyone who appreciates and enjoys geek culture. It is not limited to scientists and can be a fun and unique addition to anyone's wardrobe.

3. How was the design for "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" chosen?

The design for "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" was chosen through a collaboration of designers and geek culture enthusiasts. It went through multiple rounds of revisions and feedback to ensure it was the perfect representation of geekiness.

4. What sizes are available for "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far"?

"The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" is available in a wide range of sizes, from small to XXXL. This allows for a comfortable fit for people of all body types.

5. Can I customize "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" with my own design or slogan?

Unfortunately, "The Geekest T-Shirt Of The Year.... So Far" is not customizable with personal designs or slogans. However, we are always open to new ideas and suggestions, so feel free to reach out to us with any suggestions for future designs!