The Force of Gravity Depends on Two Masses

In summary: However, when you are pushing the cart, you are not exerting a gravitational force but rather a contact force, which is not influenced by the masses involved. In summary, the force on a cart that you are pushing is not solely dependent on its mass, but rather a result of the contact force you are applying.
lorofthebay
Hello. I don't have a specific homework problem but more of an ideology problem with my brain. According to Newton's law of gravitation (written below), the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of both the objects under consideration. Why, then, is the force on a cart that I'm pushing solely dependent on its mass and not mine?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation: F = [Gm1m]/r^2

I have some sort of idea for an answer to this question, but none that I am able to verbalize; it's more of an intuition. Can someone much more talented than I please explain this to me in words?

Thank you for any and all help that I receive!

Physics news on Phys.org
lorofthebay said:
According to Newton's law of gravitation (written below), the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of both the objects under consideration.
First, one small correction: The force is proportional to the product of the masses.

lorofthebay said:
Why, then, is the force on a cart that I'm pushing solely dependent on its mass and not mine?
It's just because when you push on a cart the force you're applying is not a gravitational force (and so doesn't follow Newton's law of gravity).Also, the force on the cart is NOT dependent on the mass of the cart. (The acceleration of the cart, however, IS dependent on the mass of the cart.)

lorofthebay said:
According to Newton's law of gravitation (written below), the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of both the objects under consideration. Why, then, is the force on a cart that I'm pushing solely dependent on its mass and not mine?

As (your post suggests that) you are talking about Gravitational force, then your assumption that "the force on a cart I'm pushing solely dependent on its mass and not mine" is wrong. The gravitational force between the cart and you depends on both the masses of you and the cart.

Last edited:

Related to The Force of Gravity Depends on Two Masses

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two masses. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

2. How does the force of gravity depend on two masses?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the product of the two masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the masses of the two objects increase, the force of gravity also increases. However, as the distance between the masses increases, the force of gravity decreases.

3. Why is the force of gravity important?

The force of gravity is important because it is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies and objects on Earth. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter on a large scale, such as the formation of galaxies and the structure of the universe.

4. How does the force of gravity affect objects on Earth?

The force of gravity affects objects on Earth by pulling them towards the center of the planet. This is what keeps objects, including humans, on the surface of the Earth. The force of gravity also causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

5. Are there any exceptions to the force of gravity depending on two masses?

Yes, there are certain situations where the force of gravity may not follow the standard formula. For example, in very small scales, such as at the atomic level, other forces may have a greater influence. Additionally, the force of gravity may be affected by the presence of other massive objects nearby, causing gravitational interactions between multiple masses.