The force of friction moving up a slope

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the force of friction on a grocery cart being pushed with a force of 450 N at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the horizontal. The mass of the groceries is assumed to be 42 Kg. After trying various calculations, the solution is found to be 3.8 x 102 or around 380 N, based on the coefficient of friction and the total downward force.
tyler24_11
A grocery cart is being pushed with a force of 450 N at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the horizontal. If the mass of the groceries is 42 Kg,
(a) Calaculate the force of friction if the coefficient is 0.60.

Alright guys I have been doing this problem for around two hours. My physics teacher isn't a good teacher and I have no idea how to get the right answer(located in the back of book).Ive tried all I can think of,
Ff= (0.60)(450n)
= 270n

450 COS 30
= 389.7 N
and a bunch of othe stuff I erased off my paper

The answer in the back is 3.8 x 102 or around 380 n

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mass of the cart and groceries?

it doesn't say just assume 42kg I geuss

tyler24_11 said:
it doesn't say just assume 42kg I geuss

The 450 N force has 2 components. There is the Cos30 component forward, but there is also the Sin30 component down. Sin30*450 N + 42*(9.8) N = 225 + 411.6 N = 636.6 N in the downward direction.

Then you use your coefficient of friction based on the total downward force.

yah, thanks. I figured it out last night. I drew a diagram

Related to The force of friction moving up a slope

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that come into contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect an object moving up a slope?

When an object is moving up a slope, friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion. This means that it will make it harder for the object to move up the slope, as it is pushing against the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the force of friction when moving up a slope?

The force of friction when moving up a slope is affected by the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces in contact, and the angle of the slope. The greater the weight of the object and the rougher the surfaces, the greater the force of friction will be. The steeper the slope, the greater the force of friction will be as well.

4. How can the force of friction be reduced when moving up a slope?

The force of friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the roughness of the surfaces and make them slide more easily. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or using smoother surfaces can also decrease the force of friction.

5. Can the force of friction be completely eliminated when moving up a slope?

No, the force of friction cannot be completely eliminated when moving up a slope. It is a natural force that will always act between two surfaces in contact. However, it can be reduced to a negligible amount by using extremely smooth and slippery surfaces, such as ice, and minimizing the weight of the object.