The first law of thermodynamics and the dry adiabatic lapse rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the cooling of a parcel of air as it rises and expands due to an adiabatic process. The cooling is a result of the parcel of air doing work on the surrounding environment, causing it to lose energy and decrease in temperature. This is in contrast to the assumption that no energy is lost to the environment.
karen_lorr
Say there is a parcel of air rising and cooling, what is going?

Is it that the net kinetic energy (Temperature) of the parcel is distributed over the (new and larger) area/volume?
Or
Is it that the parcel is undertaking work as it presses outwards and so looses a corresponding amount of kinetic energy to the area outside the parcel?

Sorry but I’m confused. It may be a mixture of both.

Has anyone got a simple to understand explanation of why, as a parcel of air raises and expands (either vertically, horizontally or some of both, it will cool

Science news on Phys.org
The key point here is the assumption of an adiabatic process. The parcel of air is not exchanging heat or mass with the environment. The parcel of air is however expanding. That means it is doing work on the environment, and that in turn means the parcel of air is losing energy. The temperature drops. The wikipedia article on adiabatic processes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiaba...ous_formula_for_adiabatic_heating_and_cooling, contains a nice derivation of the relevant equations for an ideal gas.

Hi
Thanks for the answer.

I am trying to understand exactly what is going on. If no heat/energy is lost to the environment, then (I can't think of another way to put this) where has it gone?

I assume the net temp (avg kinetic energy) is still the same - as no energy has been lost.

So is it just that the energy is spread over a larger volume, thus reduce the local temp?
or
As work has been performed - what is the work and where has the energy gone, if none has been lost?

I have looked all over the web for this and can't find an answer.

Thanks

Emphasis mine:

karen_lorr said:
I am trying to understand exactly what is going on. If no heat/energy is lost to the environment, then (I can't think of another way to put this) where has it gone?

I assume the net temp (avg kinetic energy) is still the same - as no energy has been lost.
This is the heart of your misunderstanding. You are viewing the parcel of air as either isolated or undergoing a free expansion. This is not the case. The parcel of air has to push the surrounding air aside to make room for the expansion. It is doing work on the external environment. Work is one of the three major mechanisms via which a system can transfer energy to or from the external environment. The other two are mass flow and heat flow. The latter two do not occur here, by the assumption of an adiabatic process. Adiabatic processes do not preclude energy transfer via work.

Thank you.
You have explained it wonderfully.

Related to The first law of thermodynamics and the dry adiabatic lapse rate

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to the Earth's atmosphere?

The first law of thermodynamics is applicable to the Earth's atmosphere as it governs the exchange and transfer of energy between different components of the atmosphere, such as radiation, convection, and conduction.

3. What is the dry adiabatic lapse rate?

The dry adiabatic lapse rate is the rate at which the temperature of a parcel of dry air changes as it rises or sinks in the atmosphere without exchanging heat with its surroundings. It is approximately 9.8°C per 1000 meters in the troposphere.

4. How does the dry adiabatic lapse rate affect atmospheric stability?

The dry adiabatic lapse rate plays a crucial role in determining the stability of the atmosphere. If the air parcels cool at a rate greater than the dry adiabatic lapse rate, the atmosphere is considered unstable, and vertical motion and convection can occur. If the air parcels cool at a rate less than the dry adiabatic lapse rate, the atmosphere is considered stable, and vertical motion is suppressed.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the dry adiabatic lapse rate?

The first law of thermodynamics explains the relationship between temperature and energy transfer, which is essential in understanding the dry adiabatic lapse rate. As air parcels rise and expand, they cool, and as they descend and compress, they warm. This energy exchange is governed by the first law of thermodynamics and is responsible for the dry adiabatic lapse rate.