The extremes of an nth dimension linear equation

In summary: So if you solve for x and y in terms of z, you may find that z = -1 or z = 1. In that case, the equation says that the two endpoints of the line segment are at -1 and 1, respectively.In summary, the endpoints of an nth dimension linear equation will be guaranteed to contain a min and max over that interval, provided the equation is linear.
worryingchem
Hi,
I wanted to know if the endpoints of an nth dimension linear equation will be guaranteed to contain a min and max over that interval.
For 1D ( like a line), if I find f(x) over an interval [x0, xn], I'm guaranteed that the two end points will be either an max or min.
So I was wondering if this applies to any nth dimension linear equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
worryingchem said:
Hi,
I wanted to know if the endpoints of an nth dimension linear equation will be guaranteed to contain a min and max over that interval.
For 1D ( like a line), if I find f(x) over an interval [x0, xn], I'm guaranteed that the two end points will be either an max or min.
So I was wondering if this applies to any nth dimension linear equation?
It seems to me that this true pretty much by the definition of linearity. Indeed, you don't even need linearity or even continuity, the function being monotonic is enough. I don't see what the number of dimensions has to do with it. So maybe I don't really understand the question.

If you define 'endpoints' broadly enough then yes. The endpoints in the n-dimensional case are the ##2^n## vertices of the n-dimensional polytope (generalisation of polygon) that is the constrained region.

Thank you for answering my question.
I wanted to know that if I solve the following system over an interval of b:

## \left[ \begin{array}{c} a \ b \\ c \ d \\ \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{c} x_1 \\ x_2 \ \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{c} [b_{11}, b_{1n}] \\ [b_{21}, b_{2n}] \ \end{array} \right] ##

Then, any linear combinations of the x values ##( c_1x_1 + c_2x_2 )## at those 4 endpoints will contain the min and max. And that this will also apply to any nth dimension linear equations.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you asking whether, given a n x n real matrix M, n real intervals ##[b_{i1},b_{i2}], 1\leq i\leq n##, and a linear function ##f:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}##, the maximum value of ##f## over the 'hyper-rectangular' set

$$S=\left\{\vec{x}\in\mathbb{R}^n\ \big| \ M\vec{x}\in\prod_{i=1}^n[b_{i1},b_{i2}]\right\}$$

occurs at one of the points
$$\big(b_{1k_1},b_{2k_2},...,b_{nk_n}\big)$$
where every ##k_j## is in {1,2} (And the minimum of ##f## over ##S## also occurs at one of those points)?

The answer to that is Yes.

Yes, I think what you said is what I wanted, if for every dimension, each ## b_{nk_n} ## is a pair of endpoints to the interval.

worryingchem said:
Hi,

As a technicality, you should ask about the max and min of a linear "function" instead of using the terminology linear "equation".

It's isn't clear what you mean by "that interval". I suppose you are thinking of a line segment on the graph of a linear equation in two variables, but linear equations in higher dimensions can describe more general geometric figures. For example, in 3D, the equation x + 2y = 3 doesn't put any constraints on the z value.

Related to The extremes of an nth dimension linear equation

1. What is an nth dimension linear equation?

An nth dimension linear equation is an equation in which the highest power of the variable is n. It is a general form of a linear equation and can have multiple variables.

2. How do you solve an nth dimension linear equation?

To solve an nth dimension linear equation, you need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or elimination. You can also use matrices and determinants for systems of linear equations with multiple variables.

3. What are the applications of nth dimension linear equations?

Nth dimension linear equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model real-world problems and make predictions.

4. Can an nth dimension linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an nth dimension linear equation can have infinite solutions or no solutions at all, depending on the values of the variables and the coefficients in the equation. It can also have a unique solution.

5. How do you graph an nth dimension linear equation?

To graph an nth dimension linear equation, you can use the slope-intercept form or the standard form. You can also use a graphing calculator or plot points to create a visual representation of the equation.