The expectation value in quantum theory

In summary: A(x,x') \psi(x')In summary, the conversation discusses the use of completeness in the position basis to calculate the mean-value of an observable in quantum mechanics. The confusion arises when using different indices for the identity operator, which results in the loss of cross terms. It is necessary to use primes to distinguish between different sets of operators and ensure unitary equivalence. In the discrete basis, the product of two identity operators can be written in two ways, but using different indices leads to the loss of cross terms. The use of different indices and primes is important in distinguishing between different generalized completion identities.
aaaa202
Going from the abstract state vector lψ> and the mean-value of an observable x (operator) given by:

<x> = <ψlxlψ>

I want to show how that is done in the position basis:

So I take:

<x> = <ψlxlψ>

And insert completeness in front of the state vector to get the expansion involving the wave function:

1 = ∫lx><xl (1)

But when my teacher did this he insisted on using lx'> and furthermore that you actually inserted two different operators ∫lx'><x'l and ∫lx''><x''l
both of course represent the unit operator. But I am curious as to why you need to make this primes. Why isn't (1) sufficient? Where does confusion arise and why do you need two "different" unit operators?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help to do this. Rather than using a continuous basis, use a discrete basis so the integral is a sum.

Then write out the product of two identity operators I*I where I = (sum)|n><n| (do it in a small case, such as 3 terms). Write it both ways. Using a different index, and the same index. You'll see you lose cross terms (if the basis is not orthonormal) by only using one index.

I hope I understood the question properly and that helps.

We usually denote the general (abstract, assumed linear and self-adjoint) operators by capitals, A, B, C as to distinguish them from the operators for position xi and momentum pi. And then yes, using primes to distinguish between different (but unitarily equivalent) sets of x's and p's expecially when using more then one generalized completion identities.

[tex] \langle \psi |A|\psi\rangle = \iint dx dx' \langle \psi|x\rangle \langle x|A|x' \rangle \langle x'|\psi \rangle [/tex]

Related to The expectation value in quantum theory

1. What is the expectation value in quantum theory?

The expectation value in quantum theory is a measure of the average value of a physical quantity in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, weighted by their corresponding probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value related to uncertainty in quantum theory?

The uncertainty principle in quantum theory states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The expectation value represents the most probable outcome of a measurement, but there is always a degree of uncertainty associated with it.

3. Can the expectation value be negative?

Yes, the expectation value can be negative. This can occur when the possible outcomes of a measurement include negative values, and their corresponding probabilities are high enough to outweigh the positive values.

4. How is the expectation value different from the average value in classical physics?

In classical physics, the average value of a physical quantity is simply the sum of all possible outcomes divided by the number of outcomes. In quantum theory, the expectation value takes into account the probabilities of each outcome, which can lead to different results due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

5. How is the expectation value used in practical applications of quantum theory?

The expectation value is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in various calculations and predictions of physical systems. It is also important in the interpretation of experimental results, as it provides a way to compare theoretical predictions with actual measured values.