The expectation of an expection (relating to Wick's Theorem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pulling out the expectation value in expressions of Dirac notation. It is generally acceptable to pull out the expectation value as it is always a constant and can be treated like any other constant. However, caution should be taken when re-ordering bra's and ket's, as it can change the meaning of the expression.
vertices
Hi:

If we want to work out the expectation of:

<0|T(φ1φ2)|0>

ie. <0|<0|T(φ1φ2)|0>|0>

apparently it is acceptable to pull out the <0|T(φ1φ2)|0>:

So <0|<0|T(φ1φ2)|0>|0>=<0|T(φ1φ2)|0><0|I|0>

I do realize this is a really stupid question, but I want to be 100% sure. Is this simply because an expectation is always a constant, not an operator which acts on a state? Can you always pull out an expectation in this way?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, you can always pull out the expectation that way. I know of no cases where the expectation value is not simply just a number (or value). I don't see any point in finding the "expectation of the expectation value" tho...It's always just the same as the expectation value itself.

Matterwave said:
As far as I know, you can always pull out the expectation that way. I know of no cases where the expectation value is not simply just a number (or value). I don't see any point in finding the "expectation of the expectation value" tho...It's always just the same as the expectation value itself.

thanks matterwave.

Yes indeed, the expectation of an expectation is the expectation itself. A better example is the following:

Apparently this expression equals the one below it:

<0|(<0|T(φ1φ2)|0>)φ3|0>

=<0|T(φ1φ2)|0><0|φ3|0>

So you're saying one can always pull out the <0|T(φ1φ2)|0> in this way?

vertices said:
thanks matterwave.

Yes indeed, the expectation of an expectation is the expectation itself. A better example is the following:

Apparently this expression equals the one below it:

<0|(<0|T(φ1φ2)|0>)φ3|0>

=<0|T(φ1φ2)|0><0|φ3|0>

So you're saying one can always pull out the <0|T(φ1φ2)|0> in this way?

Yes ... it is essentially a constant, and can be treated like any other constant. You are right to be cautious though, since with expressions Dirac notation you need to be conscientious about re-ordering bra's and ket's, since it can change the meaning of the expression in general. However in this case you are fine.

Thanks SpectraCat.

Related to The expectation of an expection (relating to Wick's Theorem)

1. What is Wick's Theorem?

Wick's Theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of expectation values involving creation and annihilation operators. It allows for the separation of a given expectation value into a sum of products of contractions of the operators.

2. How does Wick's Theorem relate to the expectation of an expectation?

Wick's Theorem is used to calculate the expectation value of a product of operators by breaking it down into a sum of contractions. This can then be used to calculate the expectation value of an expectation by applying the theorem repeatedly to the inner expectation value.

3. What is the significance of the expectation of an expectation?

The expectation of an expectation is significant because it allows for the calculation of higher-order correlation functions, which provide information about the interactions between particles in a quantum system. This is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can Wick's Theorem be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, Wick's Theorem can be applied to any quantum system that can be described using creation and annihilation operators. It is commonly used in the study of many-body systems in condensed matter physics and quantum field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wick's Theorem?

Yes, Wick's Theorem has some limitations. It is most effective when dealing with Gaussian distributions, and its application becomes more complicated when dealing with non-Gaussian or non-equilibrium systems. Additionally, it is not applicable to systems with interactions that cannot be described using creation and annihilation operators.