The Expanding Earth Hypothesis

In summary, the Expanding Earth hypothesis has gained some popularity among a few geophysicists and field geologists, but it is largely dismissed by the scientific community. Despite this, it is important to consider all theories and evidence in order to fully understand and evaluate scientific concepts.
DiamondGeezer
Before you leap up and down on my virtual corpse: no I don't give much credence to it

For some reason amongst some (a very few) geophysicists and field geologists, a hypothesis that plate tectonics is wrong and that the Earth is expanding in radius has been in vogue (I have no real idea why)

In order to understand this phenomenon, I would like to ask the august members of PhysicsForum to provide links to resources on the Expanding Earth hypothesis especially on the evidence one way or the other.

One of the things I have found in this process is that believers in the Expanding Earth (expanders?) are very adept at quote mining, hiding behind Alfred Wegener's coattails (the geophysical equivalent of Galileo), and dealing with physical evidence in a very roundabout way (ie they make claims for the supposed Earth's current expansion without ever explaining why such an expansion cannot be measured).

I have no idea where this might lead.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Last edited:

I understand that you don't give much credence to the Expanding Earth hypothesis. However, I think it's important to consider all theories and evidence before completely dismissing them. Have you looked into any resources or studies that support this hypothesis? It's always good to have an open mind and explore different perspectives. Can you provide any specific examples of quote mining or roundabout explanations from believers in the Expanding Earth? I think it would be helpful to have a clearer understanding of their arguments.

Related to The Expanding Earth Hypothesis

1. What is the Expanding Earth Hypothesis?

The Expanding Earth Hypothesis is a scientific theory that suggests that the Earth has been gradually increasing in size over millions of years. This hypothesis proposes that the continents were once connected as a supercontinent, called Pangaea, and have since drifted apart due to the Earth's expansion.

2. What evidence supports the Expanding Earth Hypothesis?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Expanding Earth Hypothesis, including the matching coastlines of continents, similar geological features found on different continents, and the distribution of fossils and plant species. Additionally, the measurement of the Earth's surface area and volume over time also provides evidence for expansion.

3. How does the Expanding Earth Hypothesis compare to other theories, such as Plate Tectonics?

The Expanding Earth Hypothesis is often seen as an alternative to Plate Tectonics, which is the widely accepted theory for the movement of Earth's continents. While Plate Tectonics explains the movement of continents through the Earth's crust, the Expanding Earth Hypothesis suggests that the Earth's entire surface is expanding.

4. What are some criticisms of the Expanding Earth Hypothesis?

One criticism of the Expanding Earth Hypothesis is that it does not explain the mechanism or cause of the Earth's expansion. Additionally, the theory would require a significant amount of energy to expand the Earth's surface, which has not been fully accounted for. Other criticisms include inconsistencies with geological and paleontological evidence.

5. Is the Expanding Earth Hypothesis widely accepted among scientists?

No, the Expanding Earth Hypothesis is not widely accepted among scientists. While it has some supporters, the majority of the scientific community does not consider it a valid theory due to the lack of evidence and the presence of significant flaws. Plate Tectonics is the prevailing theory for the movement of Earth's continents.