The Existence of Symmetric Matrices in Subspaces

In summary, in this conversation, the participants discuss a problem involving a 4-dimensional subspace in the space of 3x3 matrices. They determine that the subspace must contain a symmetric matrix that is not equal to 0, as proven by the Grassmann theorem. They also clarify that the matrix must be non-null.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question I am stuck on. Hope you can provide some hints. :)

Problem:

Let \(U\) be a 4-dimensional subspace in the space of \(3\times 3\) matrices. Show that \(U\) contains a symmetric matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean a symmetric matrix different from $0.$ If $\mathcal{S}$ is the subspace of the symmetric matrices, then $\dim \mathcal{S}=\dfrac{3(3+1)}{2}=6.$ If $\dim (\mathcal{S}\cap U)=0,$ then by the Grassmann theorem $\dim (U+\mathcal{S})=6+4-0=10>9=\dim \mathbb{K}^{3\times 3}$ (contradiction). So, there exists a symmetric and non null matrix belonging to $U.$

Fernando Revilla said:
I suppose you mean a symmetric matrix different from $0.$ If $\mathcal{S}$ is the subspace of the symmetric matrices, then $\dim \mathcal{S}=\dfrac{3(3+1)}{2}=6.$ If $\dim (\mathcal{S}\cap U)=0,$ then by the Grassmann theorem $\dim (U+\mathcal{S})=6+4-0=10>9=\dim \mathbb{K}^{3\times 3}$ (contradiction). So, there exists a symmetric and non null matrix belonging to $U.$

Yes indeed, it should be different from the zero matrix. Thanks very much for your reply. I understand it fully. :)

Related to The Existence of Symmetric Matrices in Subspaces

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements above and below the main diagonal are mirror images of each other. In other words, the element at row i and column j is equal to the element at row j and column i.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is symmetric?

To determine if a matrix is symmetric, you can check if the matrix is equal to its transpose. If the elements are the same, then the matrix is symmetric.

3. What is the importance of symmetric matrices?

Symmetric matrices have many important applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to represent real-world systems such as networks, graphs, and physical systems. They also have special properties that make them easier to work with in calculations.

4. Can a non-square matrix be symmetric?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be symmetric. Symmetry is a property of square matrices where the number of rows and columns are equal.

5. How are symmetric matrices used in data analysis?

In data analysis, symmetric matrices are used in methods such as principal component analysis (PCA) and cluster analysis. They are also used in machine learning algorithms to reduce the dimensionality of data and improve computational efficiency.