The Evolution of Chickens: From Dinosaurs to Dinner Tables

• History
  • Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the show "The History of the Chicken" on PBS features some very eccentric people including a woman who dresses up her rooster and a man who is amazed by the intelligence of chickens. The conversation also includes some humorous comments about chickens and their place in history.
tribdog
I'm watching a show on PBS right now called "The History of the Chicken" and I'm pretty sure that the woman who loves her pet chicken is the craziest woman I've ever seen. Please, watch this show if possible and if you ever come across this woman slap her as hard as you possibly can. She's putting underwear on her rooster for god's sake.

Science news on Phys.org
ps. no cock jokes

Nevermind, every one of the people on this show is nuts. From the woman who gave mouth to beak to a frozen chicken to the man who is amazed by a chicken's cleverness.I can't watch this crap anymore. forget I ever said anything.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
...the man who is amazed by a chicken's cleverness...

Wow. LOL

Did anyone in the show comment on rainbows being visible in lawn sprinklers?

While some of them are surely kooks, chickens are really smart and have distinct personalities...

tribdog said:
I'm watching a show on PBS right now called "The History of the Chicken" and I'm pretty sure that the woman who loves her pet chicken is the craziest woman I've ever seen. Please, watch this show if possible and if you ever come across this woman slap her as hard as you possibly can. She's putting underwear on her rooster for god's sake.

How far back are they going on the chicken history? To the Jurassic? They had some mighty big chickens.

The presumption is that if you cooked up a T-Rex that it would taste like chicken. I wonder if that is the origin for modern enjoyment of the meat?

Related to The Evolution of Chickens: From Dinosaurs to Dinner Tables

What is the origin of domesticated chickens?

The domestication of chickens is believed to have started around 6000 years ago in Southeast Asia, specifically in the area that is now known as Thailand and Vietnam. It is thought that the red junglefowl, a wild bird native to this region, was the ancestor of modern chickens.

When did chickens first arrive in North America?

Chickens were first brought to North America by European settlers in the 1500s. They were primarily used for their eggs and were not widely consumed as meat until later on.

What role did chickens play in ancient civilizations?

Chickens were highly valued in ancient civilizations such as the Romans and Greeks. They were used in religious ceremonies, as a source of food, and their eggs were considered a delicacy. In addition, their feathers were used for decorations and their droppings were used as fertilizer.

How did chickens spread to other parts of the world?

The spread of chickens to other parts of the world can be attributed to trade routes and explorers. As people traveled to new regions, they would bring chickens with them and introduce them to new cultures and climates. This helped to spread the popularity and availability of chickens worldwide.

What impact did the Industrial Revolution have on chicken farming?

The Industrial Revolution brought significant changes to chicken farming. With the invention of machines, such as the incubator and automatic feeder, chicken farming became more efficient and profitable. This led to the rise of factory farming and the mass production of chickens for meat and eggs.