The Energy of Radiation from a Carbon-Oxygen Double Bond

• Thread starter I'm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, a carbon-oxygen double bond in certain organic molecules absorbs radiation with a frequency of 6.0 x 10^13 s^-1. The wavelength of this radiation is 5.0 x 10^-6 m. To calculate the energy of this radiation, the equation E = hv can be used. The energy per photon is 3.9 x 10^-20 J, and the energy per mole of photons is 2.3 x 10^-4 J/mol.
I'm

Homework Statement

A carbon-Oxegen double bond in certain organic molecules absorbs radiation that has a frequency of 6.0 x 10^13 s^-1

A. What is the wavelength of this radiation?
B. What is the energy of this radiation per photon? per mole of photons?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for A I got

5.0 x 10 ^-6 M

for B I just don't know how to do it

I tried using E = hv, and I got 3.9 x 10 ^-20

Physics news on Phys.org
Please.

Show units in your answers, 3.9x10-20 means nothing.

M is a molar concentration, I suppose you meant m for meters. If so, you are right in A.

--

Related to The Energy of Radiation from a Carbon-Oxygen Double Bond

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is often referred to as the central science because it connects and overlaps with other branches of science, such as biology, physics, and geology.

What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Organic chemistry deals with carbon-based compounds, while inorganic chemistry focuses on non-carbon compounds. Physical chemistry deals with the principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter, while analytical chemistry involves the analysis and identification of chemical substances. Biochemistry studies the chemical processes and substances in living organisms.

Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand and explain the world around us. It is essential in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental conservation. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in developing new materials, medicines, and technologies that improve our daily lives.

What are some real-life applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has many real-life applications, including the production of medicines, cosmetics, and cleaning products. It is also used in food production, environmental testing, and forensic analysis. In addition, chemistry is essential in industries such as agriculture, manufacturing, and energy production.

What are some common lab safety rules in chemistry?

Some common lab safety rules in chemistry include wearing protective gear such as goggles, gloves, and lab coats, following proper handling and storage techniques for chemicals, and disposing of waste properly. It is also important to read and follow all instructions and to never perform experiments without proper training and supervision.