The Energy Expended by a turning wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of harnessing and storing energy from a turning wheel of a car while driving. The formula for calculating the energy required to turn a wheel is E=1/2*J*w^2, where J is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. However, this energy is already being harnessed while driving and any additional energy would result in increased fuel consumption.
fuga
ok, so i am not exactly sure how to do the math required to figure this out, and you can make fun of me if you wish, but what is the energy expended by a turning wheel of a car, and could that energy be harnessed and stored, all while driving down the road?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know math completely for finding energy to turn a wheel, but simply I can say that kinetic energy stored in a rotating wheel
E=1/2*J*w^2
where, J is moment of inertia of wheel, w is the angular velocity.
This is the energy,perhaps you have to impart to a standstill wheel to make it rotate at speed w, assuming no frictional and other losses.

You are already harnessing the energy by moving your car ahead. Any more energy taken will result in more fuel consumption. You won't be getting something for nothing.

Related to The Energy Expended by a turning wheel

What is meant by "The Energy Expended by a turning wheel"?

"The Energy Expended by a turning wheel" refers to the amount of energy required to rotate a wheel or object around an axis. This energy is used to overcome friction and any other resistance that may be present, in order to keep the wheel in motion.

What factors affect the amount of energy expended by a turning wheel?

The amount of energy expended by a turning wheel is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the wheel, the speed at which it is turning, and the surface it is turning on. The type of material the wheel is made of and any external forces acting on it can also impact the amount of energy required.

How is the energy expended by a turning wheel calculated?

The energy expended by a turning wheel can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the energy, I is the moment of inertia of the wheel, and ω is the angular velocity (speed) of the wheel. This formula takes into account the mass and distribution of the wheel's mass, as well as its speed.

What is the relationship between the energy expended by a turning wheel and its efficiency?

The energy expended by a turning wheel is directly related to its efficiency. A more efficient wheel will require less energy to turn, as it will have less friction and resistance to overcome. This is why wheels with low friction bearings and well-lubricated axles are able to rotate more easily and efficiently.

How can the energy expended by a turning wheel be reduced?

The energy expended by a turning wheel can be reduced by minimizing friction and resistance. This can be achieved through proper lubrication, using materials with low coefficients of friction, and reducing the weight and size of the wheel. Additionally, increasing the wheel's speed can also reduce the amount of energy required to turn it.