The Electric Field of a Ball of Uniform Charge Density

In summary: The electric field at a distance r>r1 from the center of the ball is greater than the electric field at a distance r<r1 from the center of the ball.
bfusco

Homework Statement

A solid ball of radius r1 has a uniform charge density ρ.
a) What is the magnitude of the electric field E(r) at a distance r>r1 from the center of the ball?
b) What is the magnitude of the electric field E(r) at a distance r<r1 from the center of the ball?
Express your answers in terms of ρ, r1, r, and ε.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i was thinking since the question asks to evaluate the electric field from outside the ball you can treat it as a point charge, E=Q/(4∏ε)r^2, and since the question states it wants the answer in terms of ρ, i used the formula ρ=Q/V and changed the Q to Vρ. after plugging in the equation for V → (4/3)∏r^3, things cancel and your left with E=(1/3)ρr/ε , but that is wrong.

i also tried this problem from the starting equation ∫EdA=Q/ε and got the exact same answer of E=(1/3)ρr/ε

Physics news on Phys.org
ok...i managed to solve for the answer to part a, however i don't understand the answer. the answer is E(r)=[(1/3)ρ(r1)^3]/r^2, i don't see how the radius of the ball (r1) has anything to do with the answer. to my knowledge it should have only been dependent on the radius of the gaussian surface i drew, which was r.

bfusco said:
ok...i managed to solve for the answer to part a, however i don't understand the answer. the answer is E(r)=[(1/3)ρ(r1)^3]/r^2, i don't see how the radius of the ball (r1) has anything to do with the answer. to my knowledge it should have only been dependent on the radius of the gaussian surface i drew, which was r.
The total charge on the ball depends upon the radius of the ball as well as the charge density.

[itex]\displaystyle Q_{\text{Ball}}=\left(\frac{4}{3}\pi\,{r_1}^3 \right)\rho\ .[/itex]

is this because the ball is a nonconductor? since it has a charge density i cannot treat it as a point charge?

bfusco said:
is this because the ball is a nonconductor? since it has a charge density i cannot treat it as a point charge?
Well, how did you do the calculation to come up with the correct answer?

For any location exterior to the ball, i.e. r > r1 you can treat the charge as if it were a point charge at the center of the sphere.

[itex]\displaystyle E(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q_\text{Ball}}{r^2}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{4}{3}\pi\,{r_1}^3\,\rho\right)\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\frac{{r_1}^3\rho}{3\epsilon_0 r^2}[/itex]​

Related to The Electric Field of a Ball of Uniform Charge Density

1. What is the electric field of a ball of uniform charge density?

The electric field of a ball of uniform charge density is the force per unit charge that would be exerted on a test charge placed at any point outside the ball. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the electric field of a ball of uniform charge density?

The electric field of a ball of uniform charge density can be calculated using the equation E = kQr/R^3, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the ball, r is the distance from the center of the ball, and R is the radius of the ball.

3. Does the electric field change if the ball has a different charge density?

Yes, the electric field will change if the ball has a different charge density. The electric field is directly proportional to the charge density, so if the charge density increases, the electric field will also increase.

4. What is the direction of the electric field inside the ball of uniform charge density?

The electric field inside the ball of uniform charge density is zero. This is because the electric field is created by the charges on the surface of the ball, and inside the ball, the charges cancel out each other's electric fields.

5. Can the electric field of a ball of uniform charge density be negative?

No, the electric field of a ball of uniform charge density cannot be negative. The electric field is always a positive quantity, as it is a measure of the force exerted on a positive test charge. However, the direction of the electric field can be negative, indicating the direction of the force on a negative test charge.